PDA

View Full Version : How would you adjust your play?

juanez
02-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Here in Colorado we have "limited stakes" gaming, meaning the max bet is $5. I typically play 2/5 holdem.

Now, there is one blind ($2) and you may bet or raise a max of $5 at any time (preflop, flop, turn or river). So calling it a 2/5 table is false since there is really no structured betting. There are no "small bets" or "big bets". Most often, players either call the $2 blind or raise to $7 preflop, then bet or raise $5 on the flop, turn & river. $5 for almost every bet is the norm.

I try to follow the advice in Winning Low Limit Holdem and The Theory of Poker, but the unstuctured betting throws a kink in the works - there are no "big bets" on the turn and river. There is no driving anyone out on the turn because of the big bet - there is no big bet. These tables are wildly loose as well.

Following WLLHE I'm doing fine on 1/2 and 2/4 Party tables, but I'm losing bigtime on the live tables here in Colorado....please help!!

Besides playing tighter than on Party tables, how would you adjust your play? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Any advice would be helpful at this point.

I'm talling ya, last night's losing session almost drove me over the edge (see a good example below).

Frustrated,
Mountain Man

(last night I had AQs in the hole UTG. I raised to $7 preflop. 4 other players call. The flop came AAJ. I bet $5 on the flop and everyone folds but this loose aggressive kid, who raised it to $10, I reraised to $15, he calls. Turn is an 8. I bet, he raises, I reraise, he calls. River is a 5. No flushes or straights possible. I bet, he raises, I reraise, he reraises, I call instead of raising again, fearing he might just have A8 or AJ in the hole. The pot was at $128. Lo and behold, he had 5's in the hole and wins with 5's full of Aces. He went all the way with 5's when there were 2 aces on the board and I was betting into him consistently. Amazed, I simply stood up and left the table with my much diminished stack. /images/graemlins/mad.gif)

J.R.
02-17-2004, 03:18 PM
The rake is horrible and really east into your profits, but in general you can play any pair if you can get in for 2, suited connectors and suited aces are devalued by this structure and high cards go up in value. Raise the full amount with big cards and big pairs to punish the limpers. Use the "search" function, there have been many threads on this issue in the past.

BTW, although its no consolation you want people to play back at you with 55 when you have AQs on an AAJ board.

juanez
02-17-2004, 10:22 PM
Thanks J.R. I did the search and there was lots of good info - much of it posted by you. I'll certainly try to adjust...I was getting really frustrated with myself in Black Hawk, while doing rather well on-line. See you at the tables!

MM