PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys at work - 9/18 hand

onegymrat
02-17-2004, 02:32 PM
9/18 live, full-table in sunny L.A.. A real cast of characters today. The table has turned from ultra LAG to fairly tight. UTG, very loose yet undisciplined player, limps. Folded to me in MP with two black kings, so I raise. Solid button cold-calls. UTG 3-bets. I put him on suited face cards, looking to pump the pot and start the frenzy again. He has shown down some outrageous holdings. I only call as does button. Three to the flop.

Flop: 7 6 5 rainbow

UTG bets, I raise. Button mucks. UTG re-raises, I four-bet. UTG calls.

Turn: 10 x

UTG bets, I raise again. UTG calls.

River: 7 x

UTG loudly checks to me. I bet. He calls.

I proudly show my kings, unfortunately, he shows me aces. I expected him to say to me, "I thought you had pockets tens", but instead he remarks, "I thought you might of had a straight or something." That clarifies the opinion I had of him being a fool, although he still managed to perfectly limp-reraise me with aces, making me the fool. Anyone play it different?

Rick Nebiolo
02-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Onegymrat,

I'd tend to cap BTF three way with kings. If I was looking like I would end up head up with position I might often just call a reraise from the blind and plan on pouncing later.

IF I just called BTF sometimes just call the flop bet (even though it might let in the guy behind) and raise the turn but capping as you did isn't too bad.

Given you capped on the flop and he came out swinging again on the turn I might suspect aces, but you can't win every value bet or raise so it's hard to fault the turn raise. A reraise would put me in call down mode.

If you win the vast majority of your river value bets, then you aren't value betting enough. After a check I would bet.

When you have position with kings and give a lot of action and see aces (especially against a LAG player), you just got unlucky. More often than not you will end up seeing AKs, QQ or JJ in this spot and you would take down the money.

Regards,

Rick

DiamondDave
02-17-2004, 10:21 PM
The only thing at all questionable is not capping the betting preflop with >1 opponent.