PDA

View Full Version : Minimum raises

hockey1
02-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Can someone please explain to me the purpose of a min raise? Maybe better stated: is there some reason that min-raising isn't just silly in almost all cases? I play a lot of Party SNGs, $30 and $50, and the players there love to min raise. Now, given the source, I have plenty of reason to assume that it's a crappy play. Every once in a while I see someone min raise to feign weakness and then c/r all-in when one of the few decent players unwittingly takes the bait, but other than that, is there any reasonable place for min-raising in one's game?

CrisBrown
02-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Hi hockey1,

I've no idea why people min-raise. I generally treat a min-raise as a "big limp," and will call it from late position on any hand with which I'd have called a limp (e.g.: medium or big suited connector, medium or small pair). The BB is usually going to call, so I'm looking to play hands that do well in a multi-way pot, where I'll be the last to act.

Cris

Al_Capone_Junior
02-17-2004, 12:27 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=511394&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1

To quote myself from this thread:

"Min raises preflop are for people with no balls and no real understanding of how to play no limit hold'em. That's been my position for a long time, and I have been quite vocal about it, despite having some critics on the subject. This might change some near the end of a tourney when it's down to two or three tho. It also does not count bets after the flop for the most part."

al

hockey1
02-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Sounds like we're on the same page. Sorry about the duplication of this post and the one you linked -- I've been on vacation and didn't see it.

PrayingMantis
02-17-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm with Al on that one, and I think mini-raises in NL are pretty much good for nothing.

Exept one case, that I meet sometimes.

There are players, who will constantly mini-raise PF, with all sorts of hands. I don't know what exactly they are trying to achieve, sometimes they are doing this with garbage and on late stages. But they do succeed, sometimes, in driving their opponents nuts. And then, when they mini-raise for the 57th time, they will do it with KK, and BB, who's pretty passive in general, is completely pissed-off by now, will raise them all-in or something with his KQs. And that's were they hit it big time.

I don't know if that's exactly what they're trying to do, but I've seen it happen more then once. So always pay attention, especially if they mini-raise, but never raise bigger than that.

PrayingMantis

Losing all
02-17-2004, 02:04 PM
I agree 100%. No balls, and no clue what NL is all about. I see it a ton in 10+1's. last night for example, UTG comes out firing for 30, 2 callers, MP pops it hard to 45, original raiser calls, next guy limp re-re-raises all the way up to 60.. What a play!

ThaSaltCracka
02-17-2004, 02:58 PM
the only reason I can think off is suppose you have KK UTG or UTG+1, a min raise will let some players in and it may also draw a reraise, both of which I would think are good for a high pocket pair, I dunno, just a thought.
BTW I agree with you al, I have no respect for the min raise, and actually I laugh when I see it.