PDA

View Full Version : I played my set too weak.

ajizzle
02-17-2004, 01:53 AM
Party 2/4, we are 8 handed, but for all real purposes, we are 7 handed. Utg has $2 left in front of him.

I get two black nines in the CO. Two limpers to me, I just call, and Button also calls. UTG is all in.

Flop comes 9d Jh Kh.

SB checks, BB leads out, UTG is already all-in with a $11.50 main pot, I raise, Button cold calls (huh?) SB folds, BB calls.

Turn is the third heart. We are three handed at this point, with the UTG making it 4 handed for the main pot. BB checks, I CHECK, Button checks behind.

The reason I checked here is because I interpretted the button's cold call to be a big flush draw. With the third flush card hitting, I decided to go into check call mode.

River brings the fourth heart, we check through again, Button takes hand with Ks 3h. He cold called two bets on the flop with top pair 3 kicker. Honestly, I have been away from this game for too long. In the bigger scheme of things, I saved myself two big bets, because someone who would call two cold on the flop with K3, would probably also call unimproved to the river.

Any ideas? Will the button fold the river with only the 3h?
I know I made the wrong read, but in this situation, did two wrongs make a right?

Clarkmeister
02-17-2004, 02:13 AM
Raise preflop. The button alone is worth the small bet.

Ed Miller
02-17-2004, 02:24 AM
You must protect your hand by betting the turn. This hand shows you exactly why. Do not assume that loose opponents have flush draws just because they call two cold on the flop.

Clarkmeister
02-17-2004, 02:26 AM
Shouldn't you change your "location" to "next to a cold beer"?

Ed Miller
02-17-2004, 02:29 AM
Shouldn't you change your "location" to "next to a cold beer"?

While "next to a cold beer" is more accurate than "Bellagio 15-30" these days, I'm going to highlight my more productive hours. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Bear
02-17-2004, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason I checked here is because I interpretted the button's cold call to be a big flush draw. With the third flush card hitting, I decided to go into check call mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't make such rigid reads, especially at low-limits. Every day, I see players make this call with a weak jack. Every single day. You can't afford to give a free card to a random heart (like a 3, for example). BET!! If he has the flush, God bless him. MUCH MORE OFTEN, he'll have nothing. Many times, he'll be drawing completely dead against you. Huh? Yeah, that's right, he'll often call w/ a shitty king (no heart) or shitty jack (no heart). Jizzle, this is low-limits. Value bet these schmos all the way to the bank.

[ QUOTE ]
Any ideas? Will the button fold the river with only the 3h?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rarely, if ever.

[ QUOTE ]
I know I made the wrong read, but in this situation, did two wrongs make a right? Honestly, I have been away from this game for too long. In the bigger scheme of things, I saved myself two big bets, because someone who would call two cold on the flop with K3, would probably also call unimproved to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop it with this garbage. You're being ridiculous. If you actually believe this, you have more work to do than we can discuss here. DON'T BE RESULTS-ORIENTED!!! Read that last line again. Done? Now read this one: DON'T BE RESULTS-ORIENTED!!

Oh, and you should be raising preflop in this spot.

rharless
02-17-2004, 03:40 AM
the two "locations" are not necessarily mutually exclusive...

BigBaitsim (milo)
02-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Raise this preflop from the CO.

Bet the turn. He may not fold, but this is a value bet at Party 2/4. LL players are unpredictable, and often stay in with absolute crap. I've lost many a hand to the rivered straight when someone stays in with 25o, but much more often, I win with pairs against that same player, who stayed in drawing the gutshot to the river.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
02-17-2004, 01:25 PM
Also, let's not forget that when the board pairs on the river, all those pesky flushes go away.

Bet the turn!