PDA

View Full Version : Tens in the Small Blind

MarkD
02-16-2004, 11:46 PM
Me and a friend disagree with the way I played this one.

I'm in the small blind with pocket tens. MP limps - lose player - and folded to me at which point I raise. BB calls, MP calls - I don't have a read on the BB. 3 to the two with 6 bets in the pot.

Flop: Qd 8d Qs
I bet, BB raises, MP cold calls. I call.

Turn: 6c
I bet, BB raises, MP cold calls, I fold.

Results to follow. All comments appreciated.

SpiderMnkE
02-17-2004, 12:06 AM
sounds like you are up against a Q and a flush draw... seems hard to win this one

MarkD
02-17-2004, 01:47 AM
Yes, but the real questions are - should I have bet the turn? Check / fold the turn? or 3-bet the flop?

scotnt73
02-17-2004, 08:53 AM
the cold caller makes this a fold for me. i like how you played it. however after i bet the flop and was raised and also had a coldcaller id prob fold unless you are playing idiots.

Emmitt
02-17-2004, 09:00 AM
I would check-fold the turn. Anyone drawing for the flush has appropriate pot odds, plus it is likely that there are 3 Q's waiting for you.

MarkD
02-17-2004, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone drawing for the flush has appropriate pot odds

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't make much difference. I don't mind playing against a flush draw, if I know that's what I'm up against.

MarkD
02-18-2004, 12:37 AM
Not much response so might as well post results and my thoughts.

BB had Ad 5d and the other player had 86o. So, in the scope of thing their play really didn't mean anything as I can't put them on those respective hands.

On the flop I figured the raise by the BB meant that he either had diamonds or an 8. I didn't initially put him on a queen and if the other player had folded I was planning to three bet the BB. When the third player cold called two on the flop I put him on either diamonds or a Queen - with Queen being more likely. Lots of low limit opponents think just calling the flop here is "tricky".

So, after he called I had to re-evaluate. I still wasn't completely convinced my hand was no good. The big blind could have an eight and the other player a flush draw. With this in mind I decided to call and then bet the turn unless a diamond, Ace or King came. I was also going to checkraise a Queen.

I stuck with the plan. Now, when the BB raised again and the other player cold called again, someone MUST have a Queen. Anyways, that was part of the reason I bet the turn. I figured that betting the turn would give me a lot of valuable information on how to correctly continue. I believed that the bet removed all doubt as to what my future actions would be. Maybe I was wrong.

joker122
02-18-2004, 01:20 AM
I'd be more afraid of this opponent if he cold calls the flop and then shows strength on the turn. I definatly don't put him on trips though. What I do put him on is the knowledge of the fact that you don't have a Queen.