PDA

View Full Version : Let up or keep pressing

Homer
02-16-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm rusty, so help me out. All of these hands are from 2/4 SH on Poker Stars. No opponent knowledge unless otherwise stated. What is my best decision in each situation and why?

Hand 1

UTG limps, CO raises, I three-bet from button with QQ. BB coldcalls, CO caps, BB and I call. Three to the flop.

Flop - 2d 8s 4s

CO bets, I raise, BB coldcalls, CO calls.

Turn - 8h

Checked to me, I bet, CO calls.

River - Ah

Checked to me. <font color="blue">Bet/Check</font>

Hand 2

I raise 99 UTG, button (loose, somewhat aggressive and tricky) coldcalls, blinds call. Four to the flop.

Flop - Kd 7c 2h

I bet, button raises, folded to me. <font color="blue">Reraise/Call/Fold</font>

Hand 3

Loose-passive table, 5-handed right now, players behind me almost always coldcall.

I limp UTG with KdTc, all but one limps/completes. Four to the flop.

Flop - Ad Kc Jc

LAG BB bets. <font color="blue">Raise/Call/Fold</font>

Hand 4

Still 5-handed with loosies. UTG limps, I raise with 88, button and SB coldcall, UTG calls. Four to the flop.

Flop - Kd 6s 6h

Checked to me, I bet, all call.

Turn - Th

Hand 5

I open-raise from button with A4c, only SB calls.

Flop - Kh Qh 4h

Checked to me, I bet, SB calls.

Turn - Jc

Hand 6

CO and button limp, SB completes, I check with 98o.

Flop - Jh 9d 8h

I bet, button raises, I three-bet, button calls.

Turn - Td

I bet, button calls.

River - Tc

<font color="blue">Bet/Check-call/Check-fold</font>

Hand 7

I limp UTG with 77, CO-1 raises, BB and I call. Three to the flop.

Flop - 8s 6d 2s

I bet, CO-1 calls, BB calls.

Turn - 9h

River - 3h <font color="blue">Bet/Check-call regardless of whether BB calls/Check-call if BB folds, do not overcall</font>

Hand 8

5-handed, all limp to me in BB, I check with JTo.

Flop - Ts 7d 2s

Checked around to auto-betting button, SB calls, I check-raise, button calls, SB now three-bets. <font color="blue">Call/Fold</font>

Hand 9

UTG and UTG+1 limp, SB completes, I check in BB with Q3o.

Flop - Qc Jc 6c

Checked to me. <font color="blue">Bet/Check-call/Check-fold</font>

Hand 10

UTG (LAG/Bluffer) and UTG+1 (tight, doesn't chase) limp, I limp on puck with QJs, blinds tag along. Five to the flop.

Flop - Jc 8h 8d

UTG bets, UTG+1 calls. <font color="blue">Raise/Call</font>

I called.

Turn - Ad

-- Homer

BigBaitsim (milo)
02-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Hand 1: Bet

Hand 2: Fold

Hand 3: Raise. Fold to re-raise.

Hand 4: Check (although some will bust my chops and you are pretty much giving away the hand)

Hand 5: Will he fold? Arguments are good for both. I'd probably check. He has something that will beat your A-high or he'd have folded.

Hand 6: Check, Call

Hand 7: Check, call one but not both

Hand 8: Fold

Hand 9: Bet, fold to a raise

Hand 10: Did they take your fold button away?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm rusty, so help me out. All of these hands are from 2/4 SH on Poker Stars. No opponent knowledge unless otherwise stated. What is my best decision in each situation and why?

Hand 1

UTG limps, CO raises, I three-bet from button with QQ. BB coldcalls, CO caps, BB and I call. Three to the flop.

Flop - 2d 8s 4s

CO bets, I raise, BB coldcalls, CO calls.

Turn - 8h

Checked to me, I bet, CO calls.

River - Ah

Hand 2

I raise 99 UTG, button (loose, somewhat aggressive and tricky) coldcalls, blinds call. Four to the flop.

Flop - Kd 7c 2h

I bet, button raises, folded to me. <font color="blue">Reraise/Call/Fold</font>

Hand 3

Loose-passive table, 5-handed right now, players behind me almost always coldcall.

I limp UTG with KdTc, all but one limps/completes. Four to the flop.

Flop - Ad Kc Jc

LAG BB bets. <font color="blue">Raise/Call/Fold</font>

Hand 4

Still 5-handed with loosies. UTG limps, I raise with 88, button and SB coldcall, UTG calls. Four to the flop.

Flop - Kd 6s 6h

Checked to me, I bet, all call.

Turn - Th

Hand 5

I open-raise from button with A4c, only SB calls.

Flop - Kh Qh 4h

Checked to me, I bet, SB calls.

Turn - Jc

Hand 6

CO and button limp, SB completes, I check with 98o.

Flop - Jh 9d 8h

I bet, button raises, I three-bet, button calls.

Turn - Td

I bet, button calls.

River - Tc

<font color="blue">Bet/Check-call/Check-fold</font>

Hand 7

I limp UTG with 77, CO-1 raises, BB and I call. Three to the flop.

Flop - 8s 6d 2s

Turn - 9h

River - 3h <font color="blue">Bet/Check-call regardless of whether BB calls/Check-call if BB folds, do not overcall</font>

Hand 8

5-handed, all limp to me in BB, I check with JTo.

Flop - Ts 7d 2s

Checked around to auto-betting button, SB calls, I check-raise, button calls, SB now three-bets. <font color="blue">Call/Fold</font>

Hand 9

UTG and UTG+1 limp, SB completes, I check in BB with Q3o.

Flop - Qc Jc 6c

Checked to me. <font color="blue">Bet/Check-call/Check-fold</font>

Hand 10

UTG (LAG/Bluffer) and UTG+1 (tight, doesn't chase) limp, I limp on puck with QJs, blinds tag along. Five to the flop.

Flop - Jc 8h 8d

I called.

Turn - Ad

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]

BottlesOf
02-16-2004, 10:16 PM
I'll take a shot.

Hand 1: I check/call. AK, AQ, he's not laying down KK... and I think a c/r on the river here is possible if he hit his hand, even for a fishy.

Hand 2: I fold. Maybe this guy is capable of raising a worse hand, but I think it's -EV to find out.

Hand 3: I found out today that I'm a lousy SH player, but I don't like this limp. Since BB is a LAG, I'd raise and proceed cautiously--I feel like another ace is out there.

Hand 4: I fire another one out there, but I'd be hating life.

Hand 5: Definitely bet.

Hand 6: I check/call. He looks like a busted flush draw or a Jack. I don't think his bet if checked to means your beat.

Hand 7: Why are you acting before the BB?

Hand 8: Is your J a spade? Bizzare play from the SB. I honestly don't know what is right. Getting 11:1 I probably call.

Hand 9: check/fold.

Hand 10: There has to be some opportunity to fold.

Homer
02-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Hand 3: Raise. Fold to re-raise.

Would you really fold to a re-raise from a LAG, getting 9:1 with up to 10 outs?

Hand 10: Did they take your fold button away?

Would you have folded at some point? I don't think folding on the flop is an option, as the lead bettor is a notorious bluffer who could have all sorts of junk. What concerned me was the UTG+1 caller. I decided to call and see what happened on the turn. If UTG bet again and UTG+1 raised, I could get away cheaply. If UTG only called, I could decide whether to raise or call. I think I should have raised the turn and folded to a three-bet from UTG (even though he was a bluffer, he wouldn't three-bet a turn raise without at least trips). If UTG+1 only called, I could either bet or check behind on the river. Additionally, my turn raise might serve to get UTG+1 to fold a hand that is chopping with mine for fear that I have an Ace. I feel that this is a much better use of two bets than is calling a single bet on the turn and river. But anyway, back to my original question: Would you have folded for a single bet at any point in this hand?

-- Homer

BottlesOf
02-16-2004, 10:25 PM
I'm an idiot.

I bet here.

Edit: The more I look over the hand, the less I'm sure of this. I think I check, and call, but not an overcall.

Brian
02-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Hi Homer,

Hand #1: Call me wussy but I am checking behind on this River.

Hand #2: I'd call down. From the read you have on him, he doesn't need a King to raise the Flop, so I think folding isn't an option. Planning to check-call down will save you money when you are behind, and he'll probably bet your hand for you if you're ahead. So that seems like a good option, and is generally my default line of play when I am out of position against an aggressive player.

Hand #3: Fold.

Hand #4: Bet.

Hand #5: Bet and take the free showdown. Easy laydown if you're check-raised.

Hand #6: Rough. Real rough. I think I would check-call. He probably won't bet a Jack for value on this board, so that is a plus to check-calling. I am not comfortable check-folding in a pot of this size when he could have a Flush draw.

Hand #7: Pretty sure I'd bet this one. I do not want to check and be put in the uncomfortable position of overcalling with 3rd pair, and I am fairly sure you won't get raised. Also, players tend to call down with Ace-high in these games so there is definitely value in your bet.

Hand #8: Call, re-evaluate on the Turn.

Hand #9: Bet, you can't afford to give free cards here.

Hand #10: This is the hardest hand of all 10 I think. I'll wait to see others answers before I respond. I can see arguments for any way of playing this.

-Brian

Homer
02-16-2004, 10:38 PM
I'll take a shot.

Good, you got rid of the other part. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand 1: I check/call. AK, AQ, he's not laying down KK... and I think a c/r on the river here is possible if he hit his hand, even for a fishy.

Note that I was the button here and my opponent checked the river.

Hand 2: I fold. Maybe this guy is capable of raising a worse hand, but I think it's -EV to find out.

You're probably right in most instances. I suppose this was a bad hand to post because it is so opponent dependent. Also, it is not a situation you would play the same all of the time even against a specific opponent. In this instance, I re-raised and led the turn. My opponent folded (I hope he had TT /images/graemlins/smile.gif). In most cases, I would probably pack it in after being raised, though, even against this opponent.

Hand 3: I found out today that I'm a lousy SH player, but I don't like this limp. Since BB is a LAG, I'd raise and proceed cautiously--I feel like another ace is out there.

I don't like it either. I knew I'd be able to see the flop for a single bet, as the only aggressive player was in the BB, and even he would not raise from that position without a fairly decent hand. Regardless, though, I think KTo was pushing it. KJo is probably a play, though. I'm still debating what play was best on the flop.

Hand 4: I fire another one out there, but I'd be hating life.

I decided to pack it in. Given that everyone called my flop bet, I decided that the chances of someone having a K or 6, or having turned a T, were too great. And even if I am ahead, there are still overcards and draws that can get there on the river. Basically, I thought that I was likely behind and if I was ahead I could still lose. If the pot were a little larger, I would have fired one more time.

Hand 5: Definitely bet.

I checked behind and folded to a single bet when a heart came on the river. I would have folded even if my opponent had bet a blank. With three overcards and three hearts on board, I felt that I was likely behind, and if not, could easily lose on the river. The fact that I might have had up to 6 outs pushed me even harder to check behind.

Hand 6: I check/call. He looks like a busted flush draw or a Jack. I don't think his bet if checked to means your beat.

I couldn't decide whether to bet or check-call. If I bet, he may fold the best hand (a Jack or a 9 + OC), but if I check, he may check behind with a better hand, such as a Jack, 9 + OC, or trip T's. I finally decided that no one at this limit will fold a better hand, even at Poker Stars, but they might check behind with a worse hand given that PStars players tend to be less aggressive than those at other sites (i.e. - Party). Anyway, I checked and he checked behind with KK.

Hand 7: Why are you acting before the BB?

I wasn't. If I'm shown as acting first, you can assume that it has been checked to me because I triple preview before submitting my posts. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand 8: Is your J a spade? Bizzare play from the SB. I honestly don't know what is right. Getting 11:1 I probably call.

No spades. I called and folded when a blank came on the turn. I believe I should have folded immediately to the three-bet, as the chances of my opponent having a set are too great for me to be chasing getting only 11:1. If it had been a raised pot preflop and these actions took place on the flop, I'd lean towards calling one more bet and seeing the turn.

Hand 9: check/fold.

Twas what I did.

Hand 10: There has to be some opportunity to fold.

Why? Remember, the bettor was a LAG.

-- Homer

Homer
02-16-2004, 10:41 PM
I bet here.

Edit: The more I look over the hand, the less I'm sure of this. I think I check, and call, but not an overcall.

I certainly would have called if BB did not, because it's fairly obvious that CO-1 is on overcards. A call from BB most likely means that he has my sevens beaten, but at that point I'm getting around 10:1 and am closing the action, and it's not a typical overcall because there's no way CO-1 has me beaten. I really only have a single player to beat. I checked and am pretty sure I would have called, but CO-1 checked it through, as I had hoped.

-- Homer

BigBaitsim (milo)
02-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Hand 3: You are correct. I'd still raise, but would fall into check-call mode if re-raised.

Hand 10: UTG scares me not, but you described UTG+1 as "tight, doesn't chase." If he is calling a board with Jc 8h 8d Ad, chances are pretty good he can beat your hand. I think you have only 2 really clean outs. If the Q hits, you still stand a decent chance of losing. A caveat, I am not a Real Poker Player, just a country shrink who plays a bit online and pretends a lot. This is like the Blind leading the Actually-I-see-pretty-well-but-my-glasses-just-need-a-quick-cleaning, so feel free to blow off the "advice."

Homer
02-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Hand #1: Call me wussy but I am checking behind on this River.

I won't, because that's what I did. I didn't have enough of a read on my opponent to determine whether his "preflop cap + flop bet and call of raise combo" meant AK/AQ or 99/TT/JJ. The more I think about it, though, I think that betting the river is best. Most of these players will bet an Ace on the river if they have AK/AQ, whereas Party players seem much more willing to go for a check-raise.

Hand #2: I'd call down. From the read you have on him, he doesn't need a King to raise the Flop, so I think folding isn't an option. Planning to check-call down will save you money when you are behind, and he'll probably bet your hand for you if you're ahead. So that seems like a good option, and is generally my default line of play when I am out of position against an aggressive player.

I hadn't though of this. It might have been a better idea.

Hand #5: Bet and take the free showdown. Easy laydown if you're check-raised.

At Party, this is the line I would typically take. I felt that these players were a bit tighter and would not semi-coldcall preflop and call a bet on a KQ4m flop without a piece of it. And the J on the turn didn't improve things if he had AT/AJ/JT/T9/etc. I decided that it was so likely I was behind that I shouldn't put even one more bet into the pot. This is something I've had difficulty doing in the past (I would always bet the turn intending to take the free showdown), but am starting to do effectively now on select occasions.

Hand #6: Rough. Real rough. I think I would check-call. He probably won't bet a Jack for value on this board, so that is a plus to check-calling. I am not comfortable check-folding in a pot of this size when he could have a Flush draw.

Pretty much my thoughts -- a better hand will check behind. Also, a better hand won't fold to a bet from me.

Hand #7: Pretty sure I'd bet this one. I do not want to check and be put in the uncomfortable position of overcalling with 3rd pair, and I am fairly sure you won't get raised. Also, players tend to call down with Ace-high in these games so there is definitely value in your bet.

I wouldn't have felt uncomfortable overcalling as I knew I had CO-1 beaten.

Good point about CO-1 calling with Ace-high. Heads-up I would have certainly bet.

Hand #8: Call, re-evaluate on the Turn.

This is what I usually do, but I'm not convinced that in this instance folding immediately isn't best.

Hand #9: Bet, you can't afford to give free cards here.

Small pot (2 BB) + possibly not best hand + easily drawn out on if best + bad position = Check-fold /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand #10: This is the hardest hand of all 10 I think. I'll wait to see others answers before I respond. I can see arguments for any way of playing this.

I agree. However, given that I called the flop bet, I believe I should have raised the turn (see my reply to BottlesOf).

-- Homer

BigBaitsim (milo)
02-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Hand 10: I like the turn raise.

Homer
02-16-2004, 11:01 PM
UTG scares me not, but you described UTG+1 as "tight, doesn't chase." If he is calling a board with Jc 8h 8d Ad, chances are pretty good he can beat your hand.

I understand what you're saying, but I think there's a good enough chance that he has T9s, JTs, QJs or J9s for me to at least see the turn. He doesn't chase, but he might be weak-tight enough to never raise with these hands, given that the original bettor could have trips.

I think you have only 2 really clean outs.

I assume you mean on the flop. Once UTG+1 only calls the turn, what do you think? I think that I am definitely ahead of or tied with him, and who knows about UTG. Do you agree that raising the turn may have been the best decision?

If the Q hits, you still stand a decent chance of losing.

True.

A caveat, I am not a Real Poker Player, just a country shrink who plays a bit online and pretends a lot.

I think this describes most of us actually -- you'd be surprised.

This is like the Blind leading the Actually-I-see-pretty-well-but-my-glasses-just-need-a-quick-cleaning, so feel free to blow off the "advice."

I never blow off advice. I might read it and then dismiss it as garbage, but I'll always read and consider it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-- Homer

Bob T.
02-16-2004, 11:01 PM
1 - Bet, It is likely that he has a big pair smaller than yours.

2 - I think it is close between calling it down, and folding. I would lean toward folding.

3 - If you closed the action, I think that this is an easy call, but with two to act after you, I think you have to fold.

4 - Check, and check/fold the river.

5 - Bet. You could still be ahead of a heart draw, and I would rather not get beat by a free card.

6 - I think you can checkfold.

7 - Bet. I think that it is likely that I get called by overcards here.

8 - Call, but be wary of cards that would help the 98 of spades, or other similar hands.

9 - Clear bet. Worry about what to do after you get more information. I would frequently bet second pair in this situation.

10 - Raise the flop, if I get to the turn after calling the flop, I call the turn.

Brian
02-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi Homer,

[ QUOTE ]
Small pot (2 BB) + possibly not best hand + easily drawn out on if best + bad position = Check-fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I would play 5-handed if I couldn't bet top pair into 2 opponents. Maybe if it was a 3 straight 3 flush board, but just a 3 flush board, I would bet every time. If SB had bet into me, easy fold. If this were a ring game, I'd definitely check. But 5-handed, I am betting.

-Brian

SirRaleigh
02-17-2004, 12:35 AM
I will try and anwser these quickly as I would think I would actually play them.

Hand 1

I would check, I would be scared of A{high card}.

Hand 2

I might fold like 30% of the time, and reraise like 70%.
I don't see many hands out there which he could be semi-bluffing to get a free card,
I am suspecting he has a K a decent percentage of the times.

Hand 3
Raise - I wouldn't mind if the pot got hugh aswell.

Hand 4
check

Hand 5
bet again

Hand 6
bet

Hand 7
I check, probably fold if CO-1 bets

Hand 8
Fold

Hand 9
Bet

Hand 10
Raise

Homer
02-17-2004, 01:13 PM
I check, probably fold if CO-1 bets

What do you put CO-1 on? I am not concerned about him in the least. If BB calls, however, I have a decision to make.

Hand 9
Bet

I am surprised that so many people would bet here. I would check-fold and I thought it was a very easy decision.

Anyone else want to comment on this hand?

-- Homer

J.R.
02-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Hand 9

I would check with the intention of
1) raising a late position bet or
2) leading the turn if the flop is checked thru and no club turns or
3) folding to a bet and a call or raise.

J.R.
02-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Hand 10: I would raise preflop and raise the flop. If LAG 3-bets, call it down and bet when checked to.

Vehn
02-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Haven't read other posts.

#1 bet
#2 3 bet, bet turn, bet river release if popped again.
#3 fold preflop, raise flop.
#4 check/fold, maybe call one bet on river if checked through.
#5 easy bet.
#6 check/fold.
#7 easy bet.
#8 call but probably fold on turn if you don't improve. Maybe just call down.
#9 easy bet.
#10 raise flop. wtf?

Schneids
02-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Have not looked at other responses, so sorry if anything is repetitious:

Hand 1: Bet
Hand 2: Reraise. You are probably good, and it makes the rest of the hand easier to play.
Hand 3: Fold preflop, but since you didn't do that, I raise. Clean up gutshot outs, hopefully fold everyone else behind you so you can bet the turn and check through on the river.
Hand 4: Check. Too many players.
Hand 5: Bet. So many players take one off before mucking to a turn bet.
Hand 6: Check/fold. Button has you beat 98% of the time and is never folding.
Hand 7: Consider raising PF. Anyway, bet.
Hand 8: Call. How tricky is SB? Answer to this Q determines whether you fold or call down. Leaning towards folding if unimproved on turn (don't wanna fold and see SB had OE straight).
Hand 9: Bet. Easily.
Hand 10: Raise PF, this should be automatic on the button of a SH table. With having only limped, I raise the flop. If you call the flop, you're practically playing the hand blind now. So what if the tight UTG+1 called the flop? If you are totally baffled by UTG+1, raise and if he still calls the flop, just check the turn and foil his plans of slowplaying trips. But please, make QJs on the button of a SH table a raising hand.

Schneids
02-17-2004, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 9
Bet

I am surprised that so many people would bet here. I would check-fold and I thought it was a very easy decision.

Anyone else want to comment on this hand?

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]

People limp with a random assortment of junk all the time in a SH table, even more so than full table. Bet top pair, almost always, in a SH table until you meet resistance (unless it's strategically better to c/r and limit the field... but that isn't the case here, since big clubs are still calling two...). Top pair with good kicker, three bet in most cases (board dependent and player dependent... IE obviously don't three bet if you notice an obvious rock... normally not the case though).

Anyway, look at it this way. 4SB in the pot, you're wagering one. Your bet might take it down right away. Or, you might get multiple stragglers that call with a club. They'll hit a flush roughly 35% of the time. Nice overlay from that. And if the board was a rainbow, you'd still bet because you have top pair, against one blind and two limpers. Key word, limpers. They didn't raise preflop. The chances someone also has top pair is lower than the 4:1 the pot is laying your bet, IMO.

SirRaleigh
02-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Hand9
What is your exact reasoning? Is it because of the early position limps, the clubs on the boards? Bad kicker. Can't I have atleast 1 high club, thats got to be in their mind as well.

Dylan Wade
02-18-2004, 12:08 AM
I think if you bet on hand 9, you're looking to fold to any raise. I think the reason to bet this flop is because it is a scary one, and one we can throw it away to a raise easily. But if they call us down, we have something decent to show (top pair).

Check/folding, can work. I don't know, I think check/calling might be better. If we do that, we should betting out the next card no matter what. If it's a club, we have a nice bluff, if it's a non-club, we have a value bet.

bad beetz
02-18-2004, 12:33 AM
1 is tough, most people say bet I'm sure, but it's probably real fricken close. Getting raised will suck bad. You could bet.

2. Fold. no draw on board. he may be making a (good) play with A7, but you're out of position and it will be expensive.

3. raise, period.

4. bet

5. many hands he called with on the flop now have a piece that won't fold. you now have a draw to the nuts and don't want to be raised. check behind.

6. If you will call then a bet is much better. bet.

7. toss up between betting and calling w/no overcall.

8. fold, you're so toast, unless it's a flush draw where he still has lots of outs on you.

9. bet

10. no fold option? I don't see what raising accomplishes. Call? Why no r

ggano
02-18-2004, 11:53 AM
You and Vehn are actually different people, right? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 10: Raise PF, this should be automatic on the button of a SH table.

[/ QUOTE ]

QJs is unlikely to win unimproved, even SH, so your choices are to try to thin the field so you can win if Q or J hits, or keep people in for a big payoff if the straight or flush hits. With two limpers in already, wouldn't you go for plan B and limp?

Schmed
02-18-2004, 12:20 PM
hand 1:

I check the river. However unlikely it is that the A helped him I'll take the pot as it is thank you very much. My hand would not like a C/R here.

Hand 2

I reraise and hopefully he is on his draw. If he's smart and on a draw he hits it again. Capped to the turn and no heart hits I bet, if raised I'm probably screwed but I would make myself call this down if no heart hit.

hand 3:

I don't play k10o utg and this is one of the reasons. If you are going to play it you almost have to raise. It's raise or fold and I would lean heavily towards folding.

hand 4

I just call with the 8's and limpers on the button. Checked to me I bet, turn I check it through. Nothing changes I check/fold the river.

hand 5

I bet the entire way down. This is where your tight image comes in to play.

Hand 6

River bet out fold to a raise but you're pretty much screwed.

Hand 7

I tend not to limp with a hand like 77 utg. I either fold or raise leaning more towards folding. I think a lot of players play too loose UTG and EP and it's a major leak.

hand 8

Smells like sb caught a set, maybe 2pr. I call...and go in to a weak check call mode for one bet on each street. See his set and kick myself for not betting out. I would have bet out at this flop. I avoid getting too tricky with top pair mediocre kicker. I bet out and may fold to a C/R player dependant.

hand 9

Bet out and player dependant call a raise.

hand 10

Raise the flop.

Dylan Wade
02-18-2004, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
QJs is unlikely to win unimproved, even SH, so your choices are to try to thin the field so you can win if Q or J hits, or keep people in for a big payoff if the straight or flush hits. With two limpers in already, wouldn't you go for plan B and limp?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an easy raise for value, and position. These limpers are unlikely to be holding anything better than two random hands. Even if we give the tight player a decent hand (it can't be that great---our raising standards are low at a 5 handed table), we'd still be winning more than our fair share. Try a few twodimes.net simulations and see for yourself. If the % of the time QJs wins is over 33% you're making money just by raising. Not to mention we have position over the limpers and are looking to buy the button.

Homer
02-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Agreed, that's an easy raise. I'm just a wuss.