PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to play against those ignorant of basic strategy...

eggzz
02-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum, but have been voraciously reading articles recently, and found through the timing of a home game gone horribly awry last night, that this should be my first post. I tend to ramble, so please bear with me.

A little about me, before I describe what happened. I've played home based poker primarily for the past ten years or so, all the stupid wild card games, which I hate, because there is no strategy involved, etc... So luckily, with the popularity of Hold Em over the past few years, I've been able to convince my friends to play primarily Hold Em when we get together. I've done much better, since switching to this format, as opposed to the King/Little drop, Criss/Cross, etc games we typically would play...

I play a typical tight style, and would like to be more aggressive, but I do have a passive side. I worry a lot about not having the nuts, even though many times, there is not a true "nut" hand, but I am getting better. I have improved my online play greatly through trial and error, and find when the ratio of me seeing flops is around 33%, I usually walk away from the session a winner. Previously, I was seeing 55-60% of the flops, and was not very successful doing that.

Last night was a good example of people that carry the wild card poker strategy to the extreme. The game was a conglomeration of a couple different betting strategies. The blinds were $2-4, but the bet range on the flop and turn was from $1-5 and you could bet up to $10 on the river. Most times, people bet the max of five dollars, and it was 50/50 between five on the river and ten on the river.

To say that these people were calling stations would be a vast understatement. They did not in any way respect a pre-flop raise, and would frequently just bet out into someone that raised pre-flop like it was nothing. They did not respect someone showing any type of strength. I found myself looking down at JJ once, and AKo on two occasions and telling myself, why would I want to raise this pre-flop, because it means absolutely nothing to them. Someone will call with J9o and suck out on me anyway.

Now I know that it is counterproductive to think that way, but let me give you a hand example. I had A/Qo in early position and just called the $4. Someone raised and I called. There were 7 of us playing and I think 6 saw the flop of Ace/Two/Ten rainbow. I bet out the max of five dollars and I think five people called. The turn produced a three of a different suit. I bet five. Three called. The turn produced a five. Now we have A/2/10/3/5.

I chuckled. I just knew that someone was holding a four. I bet out five dollars and the same two people called, and I lost to King/four offsuit. Are you kidding me? Is this something I should expect, or do I have a legitimate gripe about getting sucked out like this? This is how the night went.

I found myself so afraid of the garbage hands, that I ended up dropping a bundle ($180). When you see a flop of 667, you just know that someone is holding a six, because someone did, in fact, come in with 6/3 suited. One guy flatly told me that if his cards are suited, he plays to the flop, every single time. 7/2, 8/3, it doesn't matter.

Another time, I was in the big blind with 6/9 so I saw the flop, it was not raised. The flop came K/Q/9. I checked, someone bet five and I folded. I figured I was already beat, and the only way to win was with three nines. I didn't think that two pair would be strong, although I suppose I would have been confident with the two pair. I figured I would need another nine to win. I thought I only had two outs, but I suppose I had possibly five outs, so lets compromise and say I had 4 outs. With 47 unseen cards, the pot odds tell me I need 12-1 for me to call just one bet, so even with 5 people still in the pot, I'm supposed to fold the bottom pair with two juicy over cards and straight possibilities correct??

I would appreciate feedback on these two hand scenarios but more importantly, I would really appreciate feedback on what kind of strategy I need to undertake against this type of opponent. Do I need to really loosen it up, and see a lot of flops, and take a lot of chances on impractical drawing hands? It just goes against the grain on everything I have learned so far. I realize flexibility and adapting to game conditions is an important element to learn, but this game was bordering on the obscene. I don't want to hear "you shouldn't play in these types of games" because this is basically what I'm up against. If I want to have a home game, this is my opponent. They just don't understand the concept of laying hands down. I heard many times one player ask another if he was going to call a river bet. If one person was thinking about folding, he would call if the other guy said he was going to fold so the bettor "wouldn't be able to buy the pot". I see said the blind man. Unreal.

I will be playing in a tournament this Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it. Its a bunch of the guys I normally play with (not too many of these characters from last night), and they are decent players. It is $150 buy in, No Limit/No Rebuy, with about 25-30 players. Payouts to top 7. I feel that if I don't make it to the final table, I will be very disappointed. So I'm hoping that any input that I get from my travails last night will also help me in this upcoming game. (I realize this is switching from Limit to No Limit, so I may be asking too much. Maybe input on good limit strategy with people that aren't hip to basic game strategy, and also input on No Limit strategy in a tournament format against basically that same opponent).

Anyway, I enjoy this forum, there is great advice to be had, so I'm hoping I can get some in this vein. If I've left out something that you deem is important, please let me know. Thanks.

ZManODS
02-16-2004, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why would I want to raise this pre-flop, because it means absolutely nothing to them. Someone will call with J9o and suck out on me anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a mistake to think like this.

Anyway, this was a good post and i definately find myself in the same position while playing at college. The best advice i can give is to loosen up preflop but outplay them after the flop. The one hand you mentioned when you had a pair of 9's is an easy fold.

When you are playing in the tournament play more hands that can become great hands like suited connectors etc.

Good luck and just have fun.

illunious
02-16-2004, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to hear "you shouldn't play in these types of games" because this is basically what I'm up against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a fantastic game to play in. Over one night you're not guaranteed to come out a winner, but over time you should do very well.

In a game where the pots are very large at the showdown, you can loosen up pre-flop, you can also loosen up (and play more aggressive) if the game is more shorthanded than you usually play. Big hands like AK and JJ are must raises, if J9o is calling you when you hold JJ that's a great situation. On the flop you will do well jamming the pot with with your top pairs and better. Also, be aggressive with your big drawing hands (outside straight and flush draws). Bet and raise when you think your ahead, don't become passive just because 5 people are trying to hit their miracle cards.

Similar topics: here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=512375&page=&view=&sb =5&o=), here (http://www.riveredagain.com/articles.htm#Tall_Enjoy_a_Bad_Beat) and here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=holdem&Number=491819&Forum =All_Forums&Words=games%20rant&Match=Entire%20Phra se&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=491819& Search=true#Post491819)

eggzz
02-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Thank you for the links Illunious. I think I learned two big things last night:

1. The main reason I lost is because I did not react and change my game to these game conditions. I definitely needed to loosen up and did not. In fact, one hand I remember flopping a straight, but on the river, one of my two hole cards came up, so I got tentative, thinking someone may now have a higher straight and I checked the river, afraid of a reraise. Way too passive. No one even had the same straight I had.

2. The game conditions were exceptionally strange in that there was one guy that was so drunk, he beat me on one pot where I had top pair, medium kicker. He had a straight, but had no idea he had a straight, it had to be pointed out to him by the other players. He was calling with really no idea why he was calling.

I understand that you want bad players at your table, and in the long run, you should be able to come out on top. In limited action with this wide circle of people, I am ahead, I guess I have an unreasonable or unrealistic expectation to win every single time.

Thanks again for your insight, I will make sure I make it a point to intensely study the table conditions for the upcoming tourney and try to mesh my game with what I feel will have the best expectations for success.

RydenStoompala
02-17-2004, 08:52 AM
First of all, with better starting hand selection than your opponents you will, over time, get the better of it. Whether you drop $180 on any particular night is of no consequence if you are playing sound poker. More importantly you can loosen your standards in a game this loose, but keep position to your advantage. Play very agressively from late position and hammer on those who come into the hand waiting for a third small card on the river. You will get zapped somewhere between 10-25% of the time but the good far outweighs the bad. Now, if you can just get your buddy who plays any two suited cards to visit the Mirage in May.....

kiemo
02-17-2004, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I found myself looking down at JJ once, and AKo on two occasions and telling myself, why would I want to raise this pre-flop, because it means absolutely nothing to them. Someone will call with J9o and suck out on me anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Zman said this is a HUGE mistake on your part.
Take a look at this two dimes simulation when you AK and three people call with J9o,55,Q2c
http://www.twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&b=&d=&h=Kh+Ac%0D%0AJd+9s%0D%0A5h+5c%0D%0AQs+2 s

You arent going to win all the hands, heck you arent even going to win alot of them. If you raise and get 3 callers everytime you are going to lose 1 bet for each of the 67 times you lose the hand, however the 33 times you win, you are going to win 3 bets. What this means is over the course of 100 hands you will lose 67 bets and win 99 bets, which means in the long run you are +32 EV. This is why you raise with AK, its a pure value bet. You want people with crap hands to call your raise 100% of the time, this is how you make money in poker.

[ QUOTE ]

Now I know that it is counterproductive to think that way, but let me give you a hand example. I had A/Qo in early position and just called the $4. Someone raised and I called. There were 7 of us playing and I think 6 saw the flop of Ace/Two/Ten rainbow. I bet out the max of five dollars and I think five people called. The turn produced a three of a different suit. I bet five. Three called. The turn produced a five. Now we have A/2/10/3/5.

I chuckled. I just knew that someone was holding a four. I bet out five dollars and the same two people called, and I lost to King/four offsuit. Are you kidding me? Is this something I should expect, or do I have a legitimate gripe about getting sucked out like this? This is how the night went.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can expect this with the kind of players you describe. If you thought one of the two may have a 4, then you should've checked and possibly folded if one of the passive callers decides to raise. You are in a home game with people who probably dont care much about pot odds, number of outs, dominated hands, etc. They want to gamble and have some fun, folding is definitely NOT FUN, hence they are not going to fold, you learn to throw away good hands that you probably shouldve won with and hope the next time they miss their river card.

[ QUOTE ]

Limp in with 69o from BB. Flop KQ9 agaisnt 5 people

[/ QUOTE ]

You pretty much have to check fold this everytime.

[ QUOTE ]

I would appreciate feedback on these two hand scenarios but more importantly, I would really appreciate feedback on what kind of strategy I need to undertake against this type of opponent. Do I need to really loosen it up, and see a lot of flops, and take a lot of chances on impractical drawing hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to do just the opposite. Tighten up and raise like a maniac when you have premium hands. These players are not going to realize you are only playing good hands and they will gladly call you all night.

Jim Kuhn
02-18-2004, 03:23 AM
If the best players always won - the fish would swim away!

jmark
02-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi eggzz

I hear this alot on this forum. I think it alot while I'm playing, but I always kick myself when the thought creeps into my head so that I get it right out. Here's how I think of it. Here's two scenarios and you tell me which one you'd rather play in:

1) You raise pre-flop with hands like AA-TT, AK, AQ, AJs, KQs, etc. Most of the time everyone folds and you pick up only the blinds. Sometimes someone has AA-TT, AK, AQ, etc. and will always 3-bet you, then you play the rest of the hand scared because you know they've got great cards and you win the minimum.

2) You raise pre-flop with hands like AA-TT, AK, AQ, AJs, KQs, etc. You hit top pair on the flop and bet it, no one folds and they call you to the river with A3o or with middle pair and you show them a real hand. Or sometimes they hit two pair and you lose. Or maybe you hit the nut flush and someone with 97s caps every street with his small flush and you've got someone trapped between you who hit 2 pair and someone else trapped looking for their inside straight. Sometimes someone has AA-TT, AK, AQ, etc. but will never 3-bet you, never raise you and you lose the minimum on these hands.

If you ask me, if you're looking for people to respect your raises, then you're looking to play in the wrong game.

Just how I look at it.

RydenStoompala
02-19-2004, 08:39 AM
I totally disagree with the suggestion that you tighten up in an extremely loose game. The EV of premium starting big pairs drops proportionate to the number of players who see the flop. You must loosen up, then play the flop properly.

Nottom
02-19-2004, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The EV of premium starting big pairs drops proportionate to the number of players who see the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. Hands like AK and AQ lose a lot of value in these games but the value of AA goes way up, as does KK to a lessor degree. QQ and JJ should still be good money winners even in a loose game like this.

However, I think our poster needs to tighten up, he commented that he was down to 33% of his flops when playing online. Thats still way too loose. It's important to remember which hands you want to add to your game in these sort of situations. Pairs and suited connectors look very attractive, unsuited big cards are essentially trash.

aces_full
02-20-2004, 01:57 PM
According to the theory of poker, every time you make the same move you would have if you could see your opponents cards, you win, regardeless of whether you win the hand. The converse is also true.

If you have AA your opponents with hands like 72o, and 35s really have no business playing against you. By simply calling, they are making a mistake-you win, and they lose, even if they spike miracle cards. By raising pre-flop you are causing you opponents to make big mistakes, but most importantly you are value betting when you have the best of it, so if your hand is good, you will be paid off handsomely.

When playing the loosest players it is imperative that you play quality hands. You will almost always have to show down the best hand to win.

Wake up CALL
02-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Nothing much more to add on your questions but since others already answered them well I will point out this:

[ QUOTE ]
I've played home based poker primarily for the past ten years or so, all the stupid wild card games, which I hate, because there is no strategy involved, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so incorrect as to defy logic. Wild card games take a great deal more strategy to play well and I have found the better players will truly dominate these type of homegames. In fact most homegames with a good player or two will break up fairly quickly since the fish will bust so much faster.