PDA

View Full Version : Collusion at SNGs

PrayingMantis
02-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Hi all,

I see people talk extensively about collusion on-line (with or without bots) on other thread and forums (RGP, all the time). Most of the time they refer to cash games, naturely. I can't remember any specific reference to tourneys, and especially not SNGs.

I had this one occasion on Stars, where I suspected collusion between 2 players at a 10$ SNG. (we were 5 left, and they acted a bit funny). When the game was over I contacted support, and they made a deep research about those two. The answer was that they both play a lot, and it was maybe their 2nd game together, so collusion is not very probabale. They said they checked other information, I guess hand history and such, and are sure there was no intent collusion. I believe them.

But that was just an excuse for asking this:

How much collusion do you think takes place in SNGs? Just in general, not in relation to specific sites. Obviously, I don't mean this to be a thread on how to collude on SNG's, so people will get ideas. I just want to discuss this in general. I hope you won't flame me for this, I only mean good... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PrayingMantis

PDX_David
02-16-2004, 08:26 PM
I have two silly rules when I enter a sng. Well, maybe it is three.

1. I never enter a sng until there are already 7 or 8 in. I like to see if I recognize any other players...

2. I never enter one if two players are from the same city. Maybe just me, but that's just the way I do it.

3. I never enter if someone is from Vegas. This one is probably the silliest of the three, and I can admit that. And admitting it is the first step, right.

I watch a lot of sng's and at the end of one the guy said that the 10 was on it's way. I thought it was odd, but since I wasn't watching the entire game close enough I didn't act on it. I wish I would have been watching closer because that just seemed wrong.

eastbay
02-16-2004, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How much collusion do you think takes place in SNGs? Just in general, not in relation to specific sites. Obviously, I don't mean this to be a thread on how to collude on SNG's, so people will get ideas. I just want to discuss this in general. I hope you won't flame me for this, I only mean good... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PrayingMantis

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience at PP is that it clearly happens, but usually by absolutely terrible players. You'll often see one guy dump his chips to his "partner" on the first few hands, and then that guy succeeds in squandering his 2x stack by level 4.

So, I'm not too troubled by the idea for SnGs on PP in particular, because the ones who are (obviously, anyway) doing it, are terrible at it.

eastbay

M.B.E.
02-16-2004, 10:28 PM
With the 50/30/20 payout structure I don't think collusion can be all that profitable. For two decent players, colluding would give them only a small benefit. I don't worry about it.