PDA

View Full Version : One more raise?

Lawrence Ng
02-16-2004, 06:20 PM
20-40 game, semi loose passive. UTG limps, I am next and limp with pocket fives. cutoff calls, and button calls, SB (a somewhat semi loose player) raises. He's been raising a lot in the blinds with anything from KQ offsuit to pocket 10's and higher. BB calls, everyone else calls.

Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I have the 5 diamonds

SB bets, BB calls, UTG calls, I raise. cutoff and button fold. SB 3-bets. BB calls, UTG folds, I just call.

Turn comes a 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif. SB checks (???), BB checks, I bet, SB check-raises, BB cold calls 80. I 3bet. SB calls, and BB calls.

River comes a 9 spades. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets out again! /images/graemlins/blush.gif BB folds, I want to raise, but decide to just call.

Should I have raised one more time?

Lawrence Ng
02-16-2004, 06:21 PM
SB had pocket Kings. Show me da mooonnneeey!!!

Garland
02-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi Lawrence,

I would have 4-bet the flop. Get your bets in when the board looks good. As it is, the board is deteriorating fast. I would be concerned about BB, but he's done nothing but call all the way and he could have the 8 but is just letting you two guys duke it out.

The turn was fine.

The river you have to give BB credit for having something, and I might imagine you're trapped with set over set (but given he didn't 4-bet the turn, I'm not sure).

If SB is sane, he shouldn't be betting out on the river. I certainly wouldn't raise with a board like that and BB calling me down all the way like that. It just doesn't seem like you're a 60% favorite anymore. One thing is for sure: SB and BB should be having more than one pair to show all this aggression (or in BB's case, calling all the aggression).

Garland

Vehn
02-16-2004, 06:47 PM
I think 4-betting the flop is a serious mistake. You are not going to lose the other player and may kill your action. Almost certainly the SB will bet into you on the turn (or checkraise you even!) and you can really make the 3rd player pay through the nose.

Yeknom58
02-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Once the SB called the 3 bet on the turn and didn't cap, it's pretty clear your hand is good.

I doubt he has KJ and anyone with QQ/TT/77 is going to cap the turn.

astroglide
02-16-2004, 06:56 PM
would you want to vomit if you had to call a 3bet?

SoBeDude
02-16-2004, 08:17 PM
SB badly overplayed his Kings

-Scott

elysium
02-16-2004, 09:28 PM
hi lawrence
the SB has KJd. if he wasn't screaming KJd, you could raise, but you must consider his action here.

Ulysses
02-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Funny, I too thought this story was likely to end "and SB had KdJd."

Diplomat
02-16-2004, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Should I have raised one more time?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Unless the SB is a dope, he should figure that you can beat an overpair by now. I like the way you played the whole hand, and I think the closest decision was the pre-flop call.

(*looks at the results)

Make a note in your notebook if he's a regular player. That's pretty whacky.

-Diplomat

p.s. 20-40 in Vancouver? Regular game, or was this a kill game?

SA125
02-17-2004, 01:40 AM
On the one hand, they say if you're not losing alot of money on sets, you're not playing them right.

On the other hand, good players have good instincts.

DiamondDave
02-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Play on the river would have been more straightforward if you had 4-bet the flop.