PDA

View Full Version : Calling down with AKs?...advice sought

Garland
02-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi all,

I'm playing in Lucky Chances at $9/$18. The players are loose, and have some aggression. Anyhow, I have A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in BB and it's folded to button who open raises, SB folds. I'm very weary of blindstealers, and I believe this guy to continue his aggression despite not getting any part of the flop. I decide to call down to the river no matter what happens (ok, barring any really ugly boards such as 4 clubs, hearts, spades).

Question #1: Should I have re-raised here?

I generally don't like reraising AK unless there's people already a number of limpers already in and I can add equity to the pot in case A or K flops.

Anyhow by the time the river came, there was no A or K and 3 clubs on the board and open raiser bet all the way with Q /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif and he happened to turn the straight and river a flush.

Question #2: Was my predecision to call down all the way a poor one?

Garland

astroglide
02-16-2004, 04:33 PM
if you think that a) he's a steamroller if he doesn't encounter resistance and b) he'll fold unimproved if you 3bet him preflop then you made the right move. presumably, of course, you would have raised the river with a decent holding.

onegymrat
02-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi Garland,

[ QUOTE ]
Question #2: Was my predecision to call down all the way a poor one?

[/ QUOTE ]Absolutely. Although his raise can be dubious value, you still have nothing. There's no shame in folding. Although a turn check-raise by you may be a better option should you want to police his steals.

PokerHorse
02-16-2004, 06:05 PM
Hi Garland,
The answer to your first question is a definate yes.
Against a player like this i would also re-raise and take the lead with almost any mid strength hand.

You need to show strength and take the lead to give yourself the chance of winning the pot when he doesn't hit and maybe more importantly when you don't hit the flop as well. He needs to be the one quessing not you. this is simply the high ev way to play this situation.
To balance, against this type of player, just call some of the time when you have aa,kk and let him bluff off his chips.
In other words you want to be calling when you have a good chance to take the pot and there is a good chance this very aggressive player will continue to bet,otherwise ,you be the aggressor.

As a side note try to think in terms of how you can take control in these situations.
good luck

DiamondDave
02-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Should I have re-raised here?

I would have, because open-raisers who have the button seldom have a better hand than AKs but often have an ace.

Was my predecision to call down all the way a poor one?

I think so. But the pot was still quite small when the flop came down. You weren't committed to a showdown at that point.