PDA

View Full Version : Did I Get Outplayed Here?

Poker Jon
02-16-2004, 03:48 PM
hey all,

4th hand of 2 Table SNG - I am already upto T2300.

Get dealt QQ in MP. 1 limper and i raise to T120. Called by limper. Flop comes 6 3 2 rainbow. Limper checks I bet the pot of T270. Limper calls. At this moment I put him/her on trips or A6 or Ax.

Turn comes an Ace - limper checks (I think he/she is trapping) and I check - this is a wrong move I think!

River comes a 2. Limper thinks and bets about T300 into ~T700 pot. I think and decide to fold my QQ.

He flips over J10o and takes the pot.

Was I completely outplayed here or am I right to assume a set of trip or pair of Aces?

Anyone else play it differently?

Cheers Jon

Bluff1
02-16-2004, 03:59 PM
hi jon,

I think you were against an idiot. That being said I bet the turn here. He could be calling you with any pp up to jacks. Since a lot of players who raise with Ak, will bet with Ak regardless of the flop, you might as well fire out the turn when the ace comes. It would be hard from him to call you with anything less than an ace. Also, if you had bet the turn its pretty reasonable that he would have checked the river and you could have taken a free showdown.

prairieboy
02-16-2004, 04:13 PM
On the 4th hand of a tournament, I don't see how you have enough of a read on this player to fold QQ.

Once you check the turn, you're begging the other player to bet into you on the river. IMO you either have to bet the turn (and can fold if raised) or call his river bet.

Poker Jon
02-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Bluff,

Not sure I was against an idiot. I felt I made the idiotic play here. I feel I should have bet the turn in this situation. I fold to a raise of course.

However, i dont agree that I 'CANT' fold my queens here (prairieboy). Why do I want to waste another T300 or so at this early stage of the tournament. If I think he has an ace or trips then I should fold because I am playing his cards - not mine, in this particular situation.

Jon

gunboat
02-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Yes, you were outplayed - sort of.

When you check the turn, your opponent knows exactly what you have - a big overpair, but most likely not AA. He also knows you are afraid of the A.

As was pointed out, a turn check invites a river bet regardless of what your opponent has. Early in an NL tourney, a limper, even a decent player, could have just about anything.

I don't think he has a set - you would have heard about it on the flop. With that flop, there are too many turn cards that will shut down the action. Ax is possible, but I would not consider it likely. A decent player would not likely be limping in EP with that and would almost certainly muck it to a raise. I tend to give unknown opponents credit for being decent until proven otherwise.

Is it possible that after getting lucky the first few hands and getting a nice stack that you thought the poker gods were getting ready to smack you down? I know I sometimes get that feeling and look for monsters when I get ANOTHER good (but vulnerable) hand!

And all to often, they do smack me!

gunboat
02-16-2004, 05:56 PM
PokerJon

[ QUOTE ]
If I think he has an ace or trips then I should fold because I am playing his cards - not mine, in this particular situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should also look one more step. What does he think I have? In this case, from the turn check, he "knew" what you had and also what you thought he might have.