PDA

View Full Version : Trying to sell a winner on the river?

t_perkin
02-16-2004, 02:51 PM
I am not going to bother with a particular example:

Early in a SnG:

Often when I am sure I am the hand winner on the river I just try to sell my hand by making a the biggest bet I can while still expecting my opponent to call me at least 65% of the time or so.
Sometimes this is not much more than a minimum bet.

I have been thinking that at this stage in the tournament maybe it is better to make a much bigger bet just because winning a few extra chips at this stage in the tournament is just so worthless that it makes more $EV sense to very occaisonally pick up a meaningful addition to the pot, rather than pick up the T90 or so.

What are other poeples thoughts on this?

Tim

Bluff1
02-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Perkin

I think it depends on the player. Against a bad player I will bet a pretty big chuck usually around half of the chips he has left. He will call you enough to make this play worth it. Against good players I usually bet the pot or over bet the pot. Most good players well fold if you try to make a pay off bet on the river. Its odd how the bigger the bet the more the good players want to call you.

Phishy McFish
02-16-2004, 04:45 PM
I think it depends totally on how you play it.....did you delay.....did you talk him into it/out of it. BUT, personally I think based on what people call with you go with the large bet (based on your assuption that you WANT a call here). There are so many players that "had to see em" that you will make out +EV in the long run (IMO).

X-Calibre
02-16-2004, 06:25 PM
This seems to be a case of where playing different hands the same comes up.

The problems is if you consistently raise the min with the nutz but bet more when you are not sure then you are giving your opponents information. Not that anyone on party notices /images/graemlins/wink.gif

that being said i agree with the previous post it is obviously subjective upon your read of the players and your table image, both of which maybe in short supply early in the tourney.

Other important factors are the way the board developed, when did you hit the nutz and so on. Like if a scare card hit (that is not relevant to your hand) you may bet less cause A) don't want to scare off ppl B) want ppl that the scare card helped come back over you.