PDA

View Full Version : 6-12 AQ against preflop raiser

01-08-2002, 07:51 AM
Average 6-12 game. Fairly easy lineup.

1 limper to me, I limp in MP with AQo (something I like to do about 25% of the time). Cutoff, a mediocre tourist (MT) raises. BB, EP limper and myself all call. 4 see the flop

Flop: Ah Qh 10s. Checked to MT who bets, all fold to me. I checkraise, MT calls.

Turn: [Ah Qh 10s] 5c. Bet-call.

River: [Ah Qh 10s 5c] 5s. I bet and am raised. I think for a moment and 3-bet. MT calls.

Thoughts appreciated.

01-08-2002, 08:16 AM
When he raises the river, I'd probably conclude that he played a flopped set scared until the board paired. 3-betting doesn't sound good to me.

Maybe I'm analyzing scared.

01-08-2002, 09:32 AM
Mediocre tourist raising on the river sounds like a pretty scary predicament. The only hands he could really have that you beat would be ATs, or AK. The AK actually looks possible since he now has made two pair and might think he has outdrawn you if you also have two pair. He could also have the same hand but that seems unlikely by the way he played the hand. My guess is that he had pocket 10's. You can at least be almost totally sure that he doesn't have QQ or AA. The reraise looks pretty dangerous to me, a halfway decent player would certainly reraise you with TT (this is the nuts given the way you played your hand) but if this guy is playing scared he may not do it here.

Kris

01-08-2002, 10:57 AM
The only way he'd raise on the river is if he thinks his AA 55 2 pair is better than yours. I would put him on big slick.. I doubt 10 10 or Q Q would be played like that unless he was semislowplaying. I doubt he'd raise on the river with K J when the board pairs up. I don't know if I'd 3 bet here but I think I'm right.

01-08-2002, 02:58 PM
I paused for a minute at the table to do some quick math. I thought his possible hands were AK, AJ, QQ or TT. I also thought that my preflop limp then checkraise on the flop would lead him to put me on QT. KJ would certainly wait til the turn to checkraise.

So the fact that there were more combinations possible for him to have a big ace, combined with the fact that I thought he could easily be thinking I got counterfieted, let me to make what I considered to be a "value 3-bet". I knew I was going to be posting this one regardless of the outcome.

Sadly he had the pocket TT.

As you all mention, TT is basically the nuts here as far as he should be concerned. No way in hell I have AA or QQ here. His failure to 4-bet is amazing to me. I love it when they let me off easy.

01-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Even though the tourist was mediocre, you didn't comment on his aggressiveness. In any event, reraising with top two pair on the river with the board paired is asking for trouble. I put him on TT or QQ.

01-08-2002, 03:16 PM
As with one of your previous hands, I think it's hard to put MT on a hand without seeing what he's played before. I think MT has a house, probably Ts but Qs are possible as well. I think he was wary, because of the flopped straight and flush draw possibilities.

I'd call the river and hope MT has AK. But I think raising the river in MT's position with AK is a very bad play, and I wouldn't 3-bet on the hopes that he's making such a play.

01-08-2002, 03:17 PM
You had to have put him on AK. I'll have to look at the results.

01-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Clarkmeister,

I like it, I think he has AK, and decided you have QT and the 5 counterfeited your two pair.

Good luck,

Bob T.

01-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Ok,

So I got tunnel vision, I played this hand top pair vs two pair, and the other guy flopped a set and got checkraised with a board of AQT. He thinks, this guy is fairly aggressive and he didn't raise preflop, now he checkraises me. The only hand that fits with that is KJ suited. I got a set, but its bad luck, I have to make crying calls unless the darn board pairs. Its sort of like Roshomon, everybody is looking at the same event from different perspectives.

Then the river comes, and he says mr KJ suited, take this, and then you three bet. Now he thinks that you've maybe trapped him, because he said, your straight is no good, and you said, I can beat even that, so now he can't even reraise.

Better reads, and better luck,

Bob T.

01-09-2002, 01:17 AM
This is the argument for 3-betting, but I still don't like the play. You're putting MT on the only reasonable holding that you can beat. (I don't think anyone would raise here with AJ.) And in order for him to raise with AK, he'd have to put you on your only reasonable holding that he could beat with AK -- QT. Too many assumptions...