PDA

View Full Version : Another Question for all u pros

01-08-2002, 03:26 AM
Hi again,

I want to thank everyone who responded to my message last time.

Another Question:

4 - 8 Holdem, two - three passive players, One extremely loose aggressive to my right, one rock to my left and the rest of the table average.

Normal 4 - 8 game usually 4-5 people seeing every flop.

I am UTG with AK suited and raise, everyone folds to the button (total surprise) who cold call the small blind folds and the loose aggressive to my right defends his blind (as usual).

The Flop

25J Rainbow

From the BB loose aggressive player bets, I raise (what do you think??) the Button folds and the BB calls. Turn Q, adding four more outs. Anyway... He checks and I bet again. He raises, I call. River is a 10 (no possible flush), He bets, I raise and he reraises we go at this until his entire stack is in the pot about ($190) I go with him all the way (everyone was getting cranky cause they thought we both had Ak) anyway he turned over the idiot end of the straight and i took it down. Best feeling ever (lol)..

Anyway.. How did i play the hand at every betting round.

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Ciao

- Jessy

01-08-2002, 03:36 AM
I think raising the flop is fine to get out the button and to buy a free card on the turn. I'd then check the turn to take my free card.

01-08-2002, 04:24 AM
Good raise on the flop. You probably had the best hand at that point. If he's loose-aggressive then he will raise with overcards, so your call on the turn wasn't bad either.

As an aside, have you thought about what you would have done on the turn if the button had called cold on the flop instead of folding?

01-08-2002, 04:43 AM
pretty good...the other guy was an absolute moron to bet that much. the only thing i may have done different was the turn. he checkraised with 98? wow...nice lil move. however your turn play may have garnered the extra bets on the river. many players just check the turn in this situation. i wouldve. but your bet disguised it a little. he may have put ya on 2 pair or a set. nice pot.

b

01-08-2002, 04:56 AM
I like your bet on the turn. This guy is loose so he will probably call with some weaker hands and you certainly don't want to give a free card if he is on a draw. Also by betting you will get him to fold some of his really bad hands also preventing you from being drawn out on. Conversely your bet will keep your opponent from trying to bluff you on the river, and you risk being check raised. But in total I still prefer the bet on the turn.

Kris

01-08-2002, 07:29 AM

01-08-2002, 09:44 AM

01-08-2002, 11:45 AM
I brought my dad to canterbury for the first time and we got a couple seats at a 2 4.

He limps guy to left (GL) raises couple people cold calls dad calls.

Flop: K 3 3.

Dad bets, GL raises, dad raises, GL raises, dad caps.

Turn: blank

Same deal, raising back and forth to cap.

River: blank

Another raising war. By now it was pretty obvious what was going on to everyone other than GL, who puts about 10 BBs in the pot before he thinks, "hey, maybe I should call?". And I'm sure you can guess the results.

01-08-2002, 12:24 PM
I tend to take the free card, and routinely call the river unimproved. Simply, I want a show-down with a guy like this. Consider if you miss all of your pair and straight outs on the river. Do you fold to a bet? How do you like calling with nut no-pair after 2 SBs on the flop and a C/R on the turn?

01-08-2002, 02:30 PM
Because I think calling a checkraise is wrong.

Against a maniac or no, I am not calling when I preflop raise, 3bet on the flop, and bet the turn and STILL get checkraised. The only outs I think are safe now are the 4 tens and this pot is simply too small to pay another BB on the turn when those are likely my only outs.

I 3bet the flop specifically to ensure that I get to the showdown. Once I pick up some nut outs, I really really really want to see that river card. No way I'm letting someone checkraise me off of it.

Against this type of opponent, you will get bet into on the river all the time anyways, so it is solid from the "induce a bluff" standpoint. Look, what do you have? No freaking pair. Thats not a hand. You desperately want the free card. A guy like this is not going to muck any pair here, and if he is behind, he only has 6 outs anyways, so you aren't giving up much by checking even if you are ahead.

01-08-2002, 03:22 PM
Do you call a bet on the river if a blank comes?

01-08-2002, 11:19 PM
Depends on the opponent, but generally the answer is yes.

01-10-2002, 12:57 PM
Flopping quads and trapping someone that flopped a bote has to be one of the best crowbar situations in the world.