PDA

View Full Version : 4-8 hand..double gutshot draw

01-07-2002, 03:19 AM
Hi all! Enjoy this forum immensely. I've been playing live poker since July with some improvement in the past few months. Today I had a truly wretched session, capped by the following:

I'm in late position, 1 off the button. The game is 8 handed, generally a loose 4-8 with a loose aggressive player UTG. I look down and see Jd9d. Hmmm, good trolling hand for this game! 2 limpers to me, I raise, button and blinds fold and its called by all limpers. 3 see the flop, 7 1/2 small bets:

10c 5d Kh.

UTG bets, MP calls, I call. 10.5 SB, 3 see the turn.

(10c 5d Kh) 7s

Hmmm, picked up a double gutter!

UTG bets, MP raises. I think for a minute, decide to cold call 2 BB, and UTG calls. 8 1/4 BB as we go to the river:

(10c 5d Kh 7s) Qh

Hurray! straight came in! UTG bets, MP calls, I go all in on raise. Called by both.

Questions:

1)Thoughts on preflop raise?

2)Was the cold call on the turn justified?

Results in a later post. Thanks in advance.

01-07-2002, 03:33 AM
I might make this raise pre-flop if there were more limpers already. The goal of the raise is to create a big pot which will tie your opponents to it when you flop a good draw. However, J9s is really on the low end of the suited cards I'd do this with.

I'd raise the flop and represent a hand like AK hoping to get checked to on the turn at which point I would take the free card.

Turn call must be good althought I haven't actually calculated the pot odds. I'd call everytime.

01-07-2002, 01:07 PM
UTG laid down A-J offsuit to win straight over straight. Ouch. Next hand....

01-07-2002, 05:29 PM
I'd also raise this hand pre-flop, I raise most of my playable hands in the cutoff to try and buy position, although two limpers is probably the worst situation for this hand. If it were one limper it would be automatic to try and get it heads up with dead money, and three or more players is great since J9s plays well multi-way. Still, I'd probably raise here to buy the button. However, if UTG likes to limp-reraise (you said he was loose and aggressive) you should just call.

Your flop call is fine since you have a gutshot and a backdoor straight.

Turn call is correct with eight outs, especially since you're straight cards can't make anyone a flush or a full house. You'll occassionally get shown a higher straight, but the odds more than make up for it. I'd play it the same way you did.

Then again, what do I know.

Rube