PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong here?

foofighter
02-15-2004, 08:17 PM
If im playing $3/6 and being patient and only playing the hands im told to play in the right positions. In four hours im up $85 then in the next 40 minutes i get my pocket Ks cracked by a river flush, pocket 10s,8s & 4s no improvement on flop, AJs, AQo and AK twice...all cracked. The final hand i had AKs flop was K 7 8 rainbow turn 4 river Q and i lost to two pair K 4. This sent me home losing $75. How do you handle watching K4o, 85s, 64s, J8o, etc. winning seems like most of the pots? How do you maintain your disipline and self-control? Is being sucked out a problem at $3/6? Should i move up to $6/12 even though my bankroll isnt there yet?

Brian
02-15-2004, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is being sucked out a problem at $3/6? Should i move up to $6/12 even though my bankroll isnt there yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a common misconception amongst low limit players. They think to themselves "Well, it's impossible to beat these games, my opponents play such bad cards that I have no chance of winning!" For some reason they think they will fare better against people who don't play abysmal hands such as K4o, and keep it at the worst to KJo. If you can't beat 3/6 games consistently, you don't have much hope of beating 6/12.

-Brian

HDPM
02-15-2004, 08:53 PM
What's wrong here is that you are asking this. You lost 12.5 BB in 5 hours in a loose game. Welcome to poker. Definitely don't move up if you are asking this. Now, go read "Gambling Theory And Other Topics" to get a better appreciation for how bankroll and standard deviation work. Then go read the post about running bad in the psychology forum. If you have done this reread them because you wouldn't be asking. I don't mean to be harsh, but the refrain 'If I could just move up I wouldn't get sucked out on ...." is so much BS. You will get sucked out on in good games. We all see people doing bad stuff at higher limits and sucking out on people. If you think moving to 6-12 will change things you are fooling yourself and will fool yourself right out of poker. Learn to beat the games and learn how variance works.

Dynasty
02-16-2004, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If im playing $3/6 and being patient and only playing the hands im told to play in the right positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you think you are. I'm sure you also think you play well after the flop. But, the most likely reason for your loss is simply that you don't play well.

RydenStoompala
02-16-2004, 08:39 AM
The other replies are good, but I will toss in a small bet for good measure. The drawdown you describe is insignificant, unless you played the hands badly. For example, a lot more raising pre flop and into your top pair may have cut down the suck-out factor a little.

Sounds like poker to me. I love 3-6 because my $100 hits are offset by much larger wins and the hourly rate can be a statistically improbable 3-4 big bets. Watch what time you play as well. Try for late night weekends to see if you catch a few guys playing poker before they pass out. That can be real sport.

Mike Gallo
02-16-2004, 08:59 AM
Should i move up to $6/12 even though my bankroll isnt there yet?

What purpose would that serve, other than losing your money quicker.

Reevaluate your game. The streaks you have mentioned go hand in hand with the game.