PDA

View Full Version : Did I make as much as I could have from this hand?

01-06-2002, 02:49 PM
4-8 Hold em game at the Foxwoods in Connecticut.

Table had some soft players in it. The player to my right was a total fish.

I am dealt KJ suited on the button. Four limpers to me, I limped. (should I have raised)

Flop comes 9 10 Q. The Q and 9 are suited, not my suit.

Checked around to the player to my right who bets out. I raise wanting to win the pot right there. My reasoning was I could lose to someone playing 2 pair, which I put him on, or someone sticking around with two clubs.I had to play the hand fast.

Im called by a player who I thought played solid and the player to my right.

Turn brings an offsuit 8. Solid player checks, player to my right checks, I bet, solid player RAISES, guy to my right calls. I put the guy on a flush draw,or tripp 8's because I didnt think he would check raise the idiot end of the straight. I make it 24 to go he calls and the guy to my right calls.

River brings an offsuit 2.

Checked to me,both call. I have the nut straight, guy who check raised me had the straight to the Jack the guy to my right had queens and tens.

I am beginning to realize that in order to make money and grind out a profit, a player must win the most when they have the nuts.

Thanks

01-06-2002, 04:19 PM
Raising on the button with two big suited cards in a multi-way pot should become a routine play for you.

After the flop, you bet and raised at every opportunity- perfect. I would have put the solid player on a stiff J rather than the hands you suggested. Either way, you're winning.

01-06-2002, 09:33 PM
I'm still learning the game and I was wondering if you could give a list of reasons why one should raise with something like KJs on the button in a multi-way pot? What about QJs or T9s, would you still raise? Do you make this raise nearly everytime you hold hands like these in multi-way pots or do you sometimes limp?

01-06-2002, 09:53 PM
I think you played the flop, turn and river perfectly.

On the button after four limpers I would raise with any two suited face cards, including JTs QTs and KTs.

01-07-2002, 04:00 AM
The simplest reason for raising with big suited cards is that it is probably the best hand at the moment. Get the money in while you've got the best of it.

What you're trying to accomplish is to build a very large pot pre-flop which will tie many opponents to it on those occasions in which you get a very good flop. A great (close to ideal) example would be if you raised pre-flop on the button with KhQh and the flop was Jh,Th,4c giving you a straight flush draw and two overcards. Of course, you won't be getting many flops like that.

You're putting in just one extra small bet now and in return are getting multiple small bets immediately put into the pot by your opponents and potentially many more on later streets when they chase the big pot and make crying calls when you've made a hand.

Another potential advantage is many player's tendancy to "check to the raiser". You may be able to use this to take a free card when you want to.

I would raise on the button 100% of the time with AKs, AQs, AJs, ATs, and KQs without even thinking about it. I almost certainly would raise with KJs, QJs, and JTs. I'd need a specific reason not to raise with those hands. KTs and QTs are not quite as strong but I think you can still raise. T9s and below are different because you start losing your high card value.