PDA

View Full Version : Some strategic advice wanted on this spread limit home game structure

TwoNiner
02-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Hi guys, a friend of mine has some buddies that run a small weekly game. All in all some pretty bad players, but a different structure than I am used to..

It is a spread limit game up to $5 on every street. The dealer posts a $1 ante, and it is 50 cents for everyone else to bring it in. Now $5 isn't the normal bet but some pots can get pretty big considering everyone usually just buys in for $20. But I would say only about 15% of the pots are raised preflop

What is some advice for how I should approach this structure? The first times I've played there I think I've been playing too close to regular hold em. I'm thinking maybe suuuper loose preflop, like 6-7 off suit late position and just hope to get a flop would be closer to correct with the structure.. any advice?

bunky9590
02-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Suited connectors go way up in value in a loose game, but if they are weak tight, I start betting the max and bullying the table when the flop come raggedy after my pre flop raises.

But, then again, aggressive is my standard play.

chesspain
02-15-2004, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But, then again, aggressive is my standard play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially when you flop a set of twos against me! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bunky9590
02-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Yeah, your right.

But the hard part is, with the way I play there is NO WAY IN HECK you can put me on a set there. Your A8 on the flop could have very well been best.

Those are the problems that a good aggressive player can cause. Seems like every time someone makes a real stand against me, I actually have a hand.

Aggressiveness can win the game for you alone, if your players are weak tight, if they are loose passive, just show them a hand.

E.g. Party vs. UB my starting hands are similar at 20-22% preflop but my PFR is 10% on UB and 4.5% on party. Just seems the better way to beat those uber loose games, just show them a hand.

If you think your opponents are hesitant to call the $5.00 bets, bet them, if they let you draw cheap to that double gutshot or or flush, draw. Just make sure you punish them for their weak play.