PDA

View Full Version : Man I play Q9o bad

Diplomat
02-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Stars 30-60 HE. Man I love this game! The action is good and a kind soul showed me how to block the images.

I post in the CO (mistake 1) and am dealt Q /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. One call, I check, the button (whom I've noted as a very aggressive player from a previous game) raises, both blinds call, the limper calls, I call.

The flop is 9 /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif. Checked to the button who bets. The limper calls, I call.

The turn is the Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Checked to the button who bets. The limper pauses, then calls. I call. (raise?)

The river is the 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif Limper checks, I check.

Comments?

-Diplomat

worm33
02-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Do something other than what you did. If the first player who limped was a bad player and the blinds were tight I would raise pre-flop. I would bet out on the flop, maybe he has a10 or a9 type of hand with a club and will knock out a king or a jack. Do something on the turn. Bet. Do something on the river. Bet. I think you have to give yourself a chance to win this pot without hitting. And by checking the turn you are shutting yourself out of the pot if the button bets and the limper checkraises.

Clarkmeister
02-15-2004, 02:43 PM
How is posting wrong? I'd much rather post in the CO than take the blinds in a 3 chip-2 chip structure.

Raise preflop if the blinds are tight. If not, calling is fine.

On the flop, bet or checkraise. In this case I'd checkraise.

On the turn, you should be betting. On the river, you should definitely bet.

HiatusOver
02-15-2004, 05:18 PM
>>>How is posting wrong? I'd much rather post in the CO than take the blinds in a 3 chip-2 chip structure.<<<

Clark the Stars 30-60 game is not 3-chip 2-chip it is 2:1...HOWEVER, I often do play in 3 chip 2 chip games and for one reason or another I have never realized how much more of advantage posting in the cut-off in that structure is, so thank you!

As for the hand, I would usually raise pre-flop...if I dont raise pre-flop then I agree check-raising the flop is the best play. This hand was played pretty poor...but i guess you knew that

elysium
02-15-2004, 06:32 PM
hi diplomat
assuming this is a live game;
you need to bet into the button on the flop to get him heads up in this situation. he will raise and tend to handle it bet, raise, call, if you get heads-up. if he is leading on the turn in a heads-upper, so may you be leading with many more outs than he has on the turn. since on the turn, you are more concerned about getting called by him than getting raised, but that his folding when you bet isn't awful and that he should call at least as often as he will bet if checked to, but also that if you checked, and he bet, and i know you diplomat, that you will then also 4 bet if he then reraises your check-raise, then do check. but i know that you will not do this.

you're only consideration on the turn is his likelihood of calling when you bet vs. your willingness to get into a raising war with him. in this spot, a raising war on the turn has merit, but i think that since he will call when you bet with at least as much liklihood as he will bet if you check, since you want to take the safest route to the river, i think you should hurry along bet, raise, call street, and as the donner party says, 'don't take any cutoffs'.

mikelow
02-15-2004, 06:46 PM
Missed a turn raise and a river bet. What more can I say?

Diplomat
02-16-2004, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Missed a turn raise and a river bet. What more can I say?

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely missed a turn raise, but got lucky on the river and got in a checkraise. I'd like to say that makes up for it, but most of the time I'd have missed two big bets from the button, and probably at least 1 from the limper.

-Diplomat

Mason Malmuth
02-16-2004, 05:07 AM
Hi Diplomat:

You've played the hand fine providing the playe on the button is not only aggressive but is inclined to make bets in spots where he shouldn't.

Also, if a blank comes on the turn and you feel that the player on the button may bet a questionable hand, are you prepared to check-raise if he bets after you check?

best wishes,
Mason

Kevin J
02-16-2004, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if a blank comes on the turn and you feel that the player on the button may bet a questionable hand, are you prepared to check-raise if he bets after you check?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure I must be wrong, but I see more bad than good coming from a check/raise. Mainly, if the button will bet a questionable hand, then he will probably also call (the check/raise) with one. There is no way to tell whether he has a pair or a draw. This really complicates things on the river no matter what falls (unless of course, it's the Tc). IMO-

williwong
02-16-2004, 11:27 AM
I have to bet the flop hoping the aggressive player knocks out the limper.Willi.

Diplomat
02-16-2004, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mason,

Yes, I was prepared to checkraise the turn, but was worried about the turn call by the limper. I took his long pause to mean he was thinking about checkraising, but did not want to shut me out. Had the limper folded I would have raised, whether or not I made two pair.

-Diplomat

Diplomat
02-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi Clark,

I definitely favoured checking the river because the button would bet a very wide range of hands (including those without a club) and the limper might call with many two pair combinations.

-Diplomat

Kevin J
02-16-2004, 04:27 PM
I sometimes read these things so fast that I totally misread a post. This time I misread both the board and the posters hand. For some reason all I saw were the flush and str8 draw for Diplomat. I didn't see he had one pair, let alone two. Sorry for wasting anyone's time who read the above.