PDA

View Full Version : party pot limit omaha

stripsqueez
02-15-2004, 01:06 AM
i play an average of about 80 hands a day in these games usually the 1/2 $100 buy-in and always after i feel that i no longer possess the energy to play 3 tables of short handed hold'em - i've played about 6000 hands since i've started playing at party again and i'm about $2000 up

although i've done ok in this game i think i need a decent pot limit omaha education - i've never really studied the game much as its always a side interest to short handed hold'em - several books have been recommended to me but i've yet to bother reading any of them

most of my opponents are so awful post flop that i figure any decent poker player could beat this game without specific knowledge of pot limit omaha tactics

6000 hands isnt a heap but i'm curious if this is a reasonable win rate and i'm curious whats possible in these games ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

dogsballs
02-15-2004, 06:04 PM
several books have been recommended to me but i've yet to bother reading any of them

well, that might not be the best way to start.

The general consensus seems to be that a good player should be able to hit the games up for about 10-15BB/hr or so. Your no's put you around 8BB/hr, I guess, so you're doing ok. A lot depends on the game selection more than your own brilliant play in the online PLO games, so long as you have a basic idea of how to play.

spacemonkey
02-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Isn't the variance a lot greater in Omaha than in holdem?

Btw I've tried playing some of those party 1/2 games, I'm a newbie to Omaha myself but some of the bad plays there are incredulous. I mean, A LOT worse than holdem. Try the High/Low tables too. Saw a guy with the biggest stack on the table limp reraise the pot from UTG with QQ88! Maybe he thought he was playing high, but even then...

I think I need to get a decent PLO education too, some of those games must be considerably more profitable than the equivalent holdem games.

HajiShirazu
02-16-2004, 07:11 AM
I dont play PL100, although I have noticed that some of my PL25 friends sit in the PL100 games, but some of the PLO play is just unbelievable. I am fairly certain that some of these people don't even know anything about the game and just come to gamble. I have no idea how to play PLO other than to play coordinated hands, yet I generally end up getting my money in as a huge favorite. Also, I see some of the same players at the 25 tables almost every time I sit to play, and there are a couple players that drop 2 or 3 buyins almost every time I sit down.
An example of the types of plays these people make:
I am UTG with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif. I decide to limp-reraise, since one guy is raising the pot almost every time preflop. Sure enough, the guy raises the pot, and after two people call, I am able to get 16 of my 22 stack in with a reraise. The original raiser then raises me all in, and one other person calls.
At the showdown, I find that I am up against K922 and JT86.

pretender2k
02-24-2004, 06:49 AM
For some reason I have been playing some pot-limit omaha lately when I get bored. I go into these games with one ting in mind. Ken Warren's book said if all four cards don't work together don't play them. I have been kicking butt with only a couple hundred hands so I think I will test it some more but a win is a win sometimes. I quess I will see if I can keep it up.