PDA

View Full Version : Why not checkraise here?

01-05-2002, 07:14 AM
6-12

I limp in EP with AJo. 2 callers behind and the BB raps. SB folded.

Flop is Kc 7h 6s. Checked to the button, an aggressive player who will bet with anything here. He bets and the BB folds.

Why not checkraise and then fire on the turn? MP limper would have bet a king and will surely fold to 2 bet pressure.

01-05-2002, 07:28 AM
Why not checkraise here? Only one reason- if they won't fold. You've got to be very sure you can bet them off their hand even if it's just 87s. And if they know you, they won't believe you limped with a King and then didn't bet the flop.

Another question: Why not raise pre-flop? AJo is raise/fold in early position for me.

01-05-2002, 04:30 PM
I limp/sit in the blinds with top pair and checkraise the flop, or let them bet the whole way quite a bit of the time. I also love to flop top pair of aces on the button, give them a free card then make an "obvious" steal on the turn. They are beaten when I checkraise them here more often than not, and for them its simply not worth 2.5 more BB to find out. Limping with KQo or KJs is highly possible from me.

Few players are calling a flop checkraise followed by a turn bet without top pair or a big draw. I have had people lay down top pair good kicker on the turn after I checkraised the flop with top pair no kicker (blinds).

AJo I love to limp with in the right type of game. Unless its raised behind I always have the best ace, and I trap the blinds and late position players with crappy aces. People also see me play and "can't believe" I wouldn't raise with a good ace. When good players cold call raises when I have AJo I never feel comfy when I flop my ace. I am way too likely to be dominated. Late position is a different thing, but EP and most MP I limp now.

01-06-2002, 11:40 AM
Maybe you'll Turn a pair or a draw. If he's stealing, he'll probably fold the Flop anyway. Agree you bet the Turn if called.

The important thing is confronting the field w/ a double bet on the Flop. If you get reraised, obviously you give it up. Anything under a good K can't come after you CR.

Good play... 21Kid