PDA

View Full Version : WHERE ARE THE REAL PRO'S AT ????? ?????

N4CER1
02-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Want to be a Pro !!!!! Player !!!!! So you can tell us all about it !!!!!

Going Pro:

No doubt it matters if you live in a tent or a Mansion???
Ride a Bike or drive a Ferrari???

It is all based on your lifestyle...

99% of players that say they are Pro's are really not...The are retired, have other income coming in from the military, or are going to college on daddy's money. etc.etc.

A real pro has to make enough to buy a house, pay all of the expenses on the house, pay for a car, a wife, the kids and of course food. It goes on and on and on and on...

again most so called pro's have other income and it just sounds good for them to tell you they play for a living...

Don't get me wrong...there are pro players but few and far between..

Example: Phil Hellmuth (like 9 world series bracelets) His wife is a Doctor...MD...he can live off her when he is runnig bad....

I guess the moral to this is marry a Doctor..........LOL

Tosh
02-14-2004, 07:43 PM
I'd rather marry a supermodel but your point is still valid.

N4CER1
02-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Ya living in a tent with a Supermodel would be good!....LOL LOL

GuyOnTilt
02-14-2004, 08:26 PM
[They] are going to college on daddy's money. etc.etc.

I know that college kids get a bad rap in general, so I felt the need to defend myself here. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Everything I own, I've paid for with my own hard-earned money. Truck, computer, furniture, clothes, investments, etc. My parents haven't spent a dime on my college tuition, room and board, or anything. I'm completely independent and have been for the past 2 years. I've worked hard to get where I am right now financially, and I take a certain amount of pride in it. Not all college kids are spoiled punks whose parents foot the bills. Most, but not all.

GoT

ZeeJustin
02-14-2004, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not all college kids are spoiled punks whose parents foot the bills. Most, but not all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I hate those kids that are lucky enough to have parents with money. They are all just evil. I think they should be put in concentration camps, because they've had it easy their whole lives. It's time to make things hard. Let's make em all pay for the first time in their lives. I'm gonna start up a cult of snipers. Want to join GOT? Justice will be ours.

gonores
02-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Wow, talk about an escalation of a non-point. I hope GOT will just man up and admit that his comment (or at least the phrasing of it) was stupid and this thread gets nipped before this turns into a flame war.

Spyder
02-15-2004, 12:29 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with GOT's post. I also worked my way through college...and was a single parent while doing so. Fortunately, I had the 'old' GI Bill to help out, but, it still was no cake-walk. Made $400 a month as a student programmer, $210 for rent, No vehicle, food-stamps, rode a bicycle to school, walked my 5 year old to Kindergarten and carried my 3 year old to daycare on the other side of Huntsville (TX).

At any rate, more college students than you think are paying their own way.

Spyder

gonores
02-15-2004, 12:50 AM
That's exactly what is wrong with GOT's post. Honestly, I don't think GOT is that out of touch with reality to truly think he is in the minority of college students since his parents didn't help him out...I hope there was just a glitch in his thought/typing process. Anyone who believes that most college kids get helped by there parents has been brainwashed by something. Hell...I go to a private school that costs +$22k per year and I can say with reasonable certainty that more students don't get help from their parents than do, and even if I'm wrong, using the term "spoiled" to describe the majority of college students is flat weak.

Perpetuation of that myth aggravates me.

GuyOnTilt
02-15-2004, 01:20 AM
My apologies for that last comment. The "Most, but not all" comment was meant to say that most students' parents are footing the bill, not that their spoiled punks. My bad.

GoT

GuyOnTilt
02-15-2004, 01:21 AM
Hey gonores,

Let me preface by saying that my post was in no way intended to "hate" on kids whose parents support them. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm not bitter or angered by them or that fact in any way. But to say "I don't think GOT is that out of touch with reality to truly think he is in the minority of college students since his parents didn't help him out" is pretty naive. Since you attend a private school as well, I'd think that you'd be aware of that. Poll your fellow students and see what percentage of them bought their own cars and do not receive any money from their parents for tuition, rent, or other living expenses and see what you come up with. Again, I don't have anything against that, but I'm confused by how you'd think otherwise.

GoT

EDIT: My original statement was worded poorly and I didn't realize it until rereading just now. Sorry; I didn't intend for it to sound that way.

gonores
02-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Meh...I don't have the time or effort to take a formal poll of MU, but my roommate worked in the financial aid office and he supported my estimate...which I know doesn't mean crap. I can tell you there are a lot of kids that I won't meet or socialize with at this university because they are busy trying to squeeze in a 40 hr work week with their full schedule. I guess "reasonable certainty" is a strong phrase, especially around a mathematically-oriented crowd like this one, so I'll take that back. Either way, there are community colleges, extension colleges, and otherwise forgotten schools full of kids that cough up a grand each semester and work their way through school, on top of all those who go through school on scholarship/financial aid/grant etc.

I'm all done with the thread...I'll grant you the opportunity you deserve to make a final point if you so wish.