PDA

View Full Version : 6-12, hand #1

01-04-2002, 05:42 AM
I was playing at a 6-12 table that was pretty loose pre-flop and aggressive/passive post-flop depending on the players.

I limped EP with KJo. MP limped. Extremely aggressive LP limped. BB checked.

Flop: K J 3 (rainbow)

I bet, MP called, LP raised, BB folded, I re-raised, MP folded. LP then re-raised and said "cap it". The dealer said, "Heads-up. No cap". I called.

Should I have re-raised here? If so, how many bets should I put in? At this point, I was thinking that a set was a possibility, but I was pretty skeptical because I had seen some pretty wild betting before from LP. I decided to end the flop betting but bet out on each expensive street and call any raises. Does this sound right?

Turn: [K J 3] 2 (rainbow)

I bet, LP called.

River: [K J 3] 2 4

I bet, LP called.

01-04-2002, 06:38 AM
I limped EP with KJo.

Groan. Let's move one. Enough has been said about this pre-flop mistake.

There's not much point to going nuts betting on the flop. If you're going to go to 6,7, or 8 bets then you should do it on an expensive street.

On the turn, I would have check-raised and then bet on the river. However, your way certainly isn't wrong but, by check-raising, you could have gotten another bet into the pot.

01-04-2002, 07:01 AM
The early position limp w/ KJo is way too loose. A very skilled player may be able to make a few pennies with this hand (not likely) in the long run, but anybody less then expert is going to lose a fair amount of money with KJ in early position.

Since the guy is agressive and there was no preflop raise the only way he could have a set is if he has specifically 33.

If you planned on betting out on the turn you may as well have reraised on the flop. I like reraising then betting out better then trying for a check raise because a lot of agressive opponets tend to slow down on the turn and you certainly dont want to give a freebie. Of course if the guy is apt to bluff you might want to take that into consideration also as you don't want him to give up right away, but that doesn't look very likely in this scenario, so just reraise and bet the rest of the way.

Kris

01-04-2002, 07:05 AM
reraising then betting the turn gains 1.5 BB,

calling then check raising gains 2 BB but when it fails it costs 2 BB. You need to be right an awful lot for check raising to be the right play.

Kris

01-04-2002, 09:07 PM
LP showed KQo, and I won with two pair.

I happened to be dominated pre-flop in this hand, but is it such a mistake to play KJo in EP in loose pre-flop games? I don't play QTo and raise with AQo. It seems that KJo would be marginal at least.

01-04-2002, 09:17 PM
KJo doesnt play well multi way. suited is much more superior in these games. KJo is also a late mid position hand because it is easily dominated...

nice hand though...i put him on high pair on turn. one possiblity i may have done if he was aggressive and ya figure hed bet out on flop is a check raise. though i think ya may have got more money this time the way you played it and still got it head up. the checkraise i would do to get the possible gutshots out.

b

01-04-2002, 09:21 PM
what did his expression on his face look like when the dealer said "heads up, no cap" sometimes youll see the look of 'uh oh' lol

01-04-2002, 09:30 PM
You're right. I should've looked. =)

But at the time, I didn't know this rule either and was busy trying to figure out what the hell the guy had that he was willing to cap.

01-04-2002, 09:51 PM
i thought the rule only apllied if ya startd the betting round head up. not sure about that. ya may wanna ask that up here its maxed at 4 bets.

b