PDA

View Full Version : late night poker

scotnt73
02-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Late Night Poker-caught the end of this last night on fox. looked like a bunch of no names playing a really slow and boring holdem game. am i missing anything?

webiggy
02-14-2004, 05:16 PM
If you're referring to the showdown at the Sands, you forgot to mention that dip$#!p that anchored that event. What a goober!

felson
02-14-2004, 08:49 PM
No, he wasn't referring to the Showdown at the Sands, although Jesse May is commentator for Late Night Poker as well. He's more restrained here.

At least some of the players are well known. Recent episodes featured Julian Gardner (finished 2nd in 2002 WSOP main event after Varkonyi) and Donnacha O'Dea (one of the best players in Britain). But yeah, the production values suck -- it's hard to make out the pot size, stack sizes, etc.

CptMisery
02-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Late Night Poker was the British predecessor to the World Poker Tour's debut in the US. Fox Sports affiliates have been showing it late most evenings during the week.

You can find more information here late night poker (http://www.latenightpoker.tv/)

scotnt73
02-15-2004, 08:55 AM
yep, and instead of a little camera they use a see through table with a camera under it. man my shoes would shine!

TylerD
02-15-2004, 09:37 AM
It was the forerunner of the WPT, although it looks tame compared to the WPT it is actually a good watch. It just doesn't have the razz-matazz that you Americans seem to crave. The poker is top notch and is very interesting if you take the time to watch.

As for the players they are some of the best in Europe, and there are also names you might recognise such as Devilfish and Phil Hellmuth.

mike l.
02-15-2004, 07:06 PM
"Late Night Poker-caught the end of this last night on fox. looked like a bunch of no names playing a really slow and boring holdem game. am i missing anything?"

no you pretty much hit the nail on the head. it is miserable dreary awful TV. after reading about people talk it up on here as something great it amazed me at how utterly dull and bad it is. they dont even play well.

spamuell
02-15-2004, 07:20 PM
"No name players" that have been on late-night poker:

Joe Beevers
Barny Boatman
Ross Boatman
Dave Colclough
John Duthie (first Poker Million winner)
Phill Hellmuth
Marcel Luske
Daniel Negreanu
Donnacha O’Dea
Padraig Parkinson
Simon "Aces" Trumper
Dave "DevilFish" Ulliott

There are also a bunch of European players who are well-known around here.

The game is a little slow compared to WPT, but it's still worth watching and, although some players aren't great, there are certainly some extremely skilled players who make incredible moves.

I enjoyed it.

scotnt73
02-15-2004, 08:42 PM
i didnt mean to imply everyone was a no name. i know we Americans have a tendency to do that-sorry. i was just flipping through right before bedtime and caught a couple of hands with a few guys id never heard of. i was wondering if it was a european "celebrity" poker or real players. the announcing was very dry. in all fairness i didnt have time to watch much of it and went to bed. this is why i was asking so i would no if it was worth recording.

Wiscer
02-16-2004, 02:45 AM
I've seen some great poker on this show. TiVo really helps watch these shows, as you can blast through the commercials easily, watch 30 minutes in 20. Makes it seem to move at least a little faster.

Schmed
02-16-2004, 06:58 PM
I like it a lot. I mean it's a little different but it's still good. I have directTV and I must get 9000 foxsports channels and you know what I've some to realize....it;s always 10:30 somewhere.

The only thing that bothers me, and as someone said it was worse at the showdown at the sands, could someone please tell Jessee May to STOP YELLING..... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al Mirpuri
02-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Late Night Poker is the only poker available on terrestrial television here in the United Kingdom.

How it compares with US poker programs, I could not say as I have not seen any.

It is better than having no poker on tv. I watched Hellmuth give off so many tells that it would have given Mike Caro an erection.

dirty_dan
02-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks so very much for that mental imagery.

scotnt73
02-18-2004, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks so very much for that mental imagery.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao! i lost my appetite as well.

RydenStoompala
02-19-2004, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I watched Hellmuth give off so many tells that it would have given Mike Caro an erection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I needed to vomit. I feel much better now.