PDA

View Full Version : Raised or checkraised on the turn!

01-03-2002, 01:57 PM
I normally will fold top pair/top kicker against a checkraise on the turn. I will also usually fold to a raise too. This, of course, is dependent on the raiser. Against a maniac, I would reraise.

Is this too conservative?

Thanks for the responses.

01-03-2002, 02:27 PM
oops,

The fold also depends on the board, pot size and number of callers. If the board is: K25, Im not laying down AK. However, if the board is Q,10,8, I might consider folding AQ against a large number of loose callers.

Especially to a checkraise.

01-03-2002, 03:14 PM
ya didnt say what the turn cards are. also watch what the pre flop action is. watch for players doing it too much. start calling or reraising them at times. sometimes people will do it on a nut draw. if you had AK with top card K on flop, turn is a blank and your checkraised, i tend to reraise. then if yer raised back, ya fold. again..depending on pre flop also, and my read of player...

just some thoughts

b

01-03-2002, 03:29 PM
Against predictable opponents whom I've never or almost never seen bluff I can lay down a top-pair/top-kicker hand to a turn raise or check-raise. It usually makes me sick to see the trash such a player turns over at showdown. It also usually beats my beautiful hand on the turn.

If your opponent is tricky in any way you have to think hard before laying down.

Against a maniac you can consider just calling down. If he has you beat he just reraises and you lose more money. If you have him beat and he's on a stone-cold steal he may rethink and just fold and you lose a bet that you would have picked up on the river. The best reason you have to be aggressive in a low-limit game is that a lot of players will pay to draw nearly dead. If you're heads-up against a maniac this reason disappears and you can use your bets defensively. Now you are charging him (or more he is charging himself) to draw nearly dead by just calling.

I don't know what to tell you if you've got cards on the turn with more than one maniac. Pray?

01-03-2002, 08:09 PM
I wasn't really refering to a specific hand. Just, in general, when raised on the river, I look to find a reason to fold. If i cant determine that I have a reasonable draw or believe that there is a reasonable possibility that I do have the best hand (in comparison to the pot's odds) - I'll dump it!

I believe the most important aspect of playing winning poker is folding.

01-04-2002, 12:42 AM
Folding a lot before the flop is important. On the river, I'm not usually looking for reasons to fold. By the river, there are usually many bets in the pot. It costs just one more bet to call. If you fold incorrectly, you have committed, as they say, a mathematical catastrophe. Losing one more bet can never be that bad. Unless you really knew you were beaten. Most of my opponents don't make a lot of sense, so I call them down a lot.