PDA

View Full Version : Another wonderful hand.

01-02-2002, 09:26 PM
Im definately the only tight player at the table. But what do ya expect for 3-6? I rarely play in this place but occasionally on a Sunday when they have 10-20. Game is too loose.

So I'm on the button with pocket Kings. 4 players to me for 2 bets by the loose goose raiser. I 3 bet it and a guy 2 to my right caps it when it gets back to him. We end up 5 or 6 ways to the flop I can't remember.

Flop: K,7,9 two tone.

I 2 bet it when it gets to me since there are a coupla draws out there. We go 5 ways for 4 bets to the turn when they decide to GAMBOOLE!

Turn: 6o

Offsuit but there's the arrival of one draw. I bet when it get's checked to me for value anyways.

If somebody has 8,10 or 5,8 so be it. And they would in this game. We lose one player.

River: 6

The other "offsuit". It gets checked to the guy 2 to my right who BETS! The ol'timer to my right CALLS! I two bet it, only the bettor calls, and I take down a nice pot with my house. He says he had an overpair. Which would explain his cold call of the loose raiser in front of him and then capping my 3-bet. I had not really considered he had that much. He was not the one to raise the flop either. Nor did he bet-out the turn. But it was a nice pot.

01-03-2002, 01:37 AM
ahhhh..........ummmm..........ahhhh

What do you want us to critique?

01-03-2002, 04:25 AM
"I 2 bet it when it gets to me since there are a coupla draws out there."

I see this type of advice all the time, and it may not always be correct. If a scare card comes you may be sorry you made this raise. Furthermore, by not raising you may be in a better position to raise the turn and thus get at least two double size bets. Now you make a drawing hand put in a lot of money when he is 4-to-1 to make his hand as opposed to having him put in a little money when he is only 2-to-1.

Now I'm not saying that this is always the correct way to play. But you certainly need to consider it.

01-03-2002, 10:08 AM
Very true on both thoughts there Mason. And I mix it up. However, here's a thought and I'm glad you posted as it brings up a thought I have towards your "loose games" writings.

Most often I would say, in the 3-6 games I will just pound it with a top set, draw flop. It has been my experience that the Northern California

players in low limit don't know pot odds nor care.

This means they will not correctly lay down a 22:1 shot under pair to make a set in a 6 bet pot.

Whereas when I was in Vegas a few weeks back and flopped a set vs 6 players for 3 bets pre-flop I KNEW I would be incorrect to try to chase out the flop as the draws were getting "good odds". So I waited to the turn. That was in fact when the good players dumped.

Also, more recently I had a hand where a "tight pro" whom I was familiar with open raised but was called by 2 loose gooses. I was on button with QQ, a hand I would normally 3 bet pre-flop in this spot. I figure to have the best of it by position, and maybe have the best hand 50% of the time. I add a little deception by just cold calling. BB calls. Flop came QQ. Surprisingly it gets checked to me and I bet. I figure to get 2 callers at least as one will figure "position bet"

and another will probably peel one off to make a house with an underpair. The 2 call. I checked the turn to induce a bet or call on the river when a baby blank hit. Yup on the river one guy bets out the other mucks I raise and collect 2 bets as he calls. So I certainly understand the most common thoughts on the bigger hands.

But in the truly loose games as I describe in Cal is it better to just pound it till the draws get there, then slow down. They are gonna call anyways. And occasionally you chase out a guy that say would have turned a double gutter, flush draw on a nothin flop. As happened to me last nite. I flopped bottom pair in BB vs 1 bet vs 6 players, so I call. I turned a double gutter flush draw and rivered trips. Had it been 2 bets pre-flop or on the flop I'm gone.

Sorry for the longwinded ness!

Your thoughts?

01-03-2002, 10:11 AM
ummmmm.....ahhhhhh... How brilliant I played this tough hand?

sometimes just post to put a smile on your own or someone elses face.

01-03-2002, 12:58 PM
When bet into on the flop with AKo (after preflop raising of course) I have been waiting until the turn to raise with very good success (assuming I hit an A or K of course).

I recommend everyone do a little experimenting with this line of play.

01-03-2002, 01:39 PM
I do this in the blinds. I feel that against many players(not as in many in the hand), holding AK

with a A or K flop is a wonderful money maker. Check calling flop and check-raiseing turn. Traps more ragged Ace players. Occasionally I'll lose to a Ace-rag two pair, but it's not like he was gonna fold on the flop. But what's even better is when they get counterfeited on the river! YA BAABY! Got no kicker huh? Hell there's even times I may check raise the river if I got a good read.

Boy does that put Ace-rag or some other 2 pair on tilt! And do they whine about having you beat till the river!