PDA

View Full Version : AJo mp2

bicyclekick
02-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Pacific 5/10 no specific reads. Table doesn't take their hands too far generally though.

utg limps, i raise with AJo (something I didn't used to do, but people it seems have been encouraging this on here...is this proper or is a limp better?)

Folded to the bb who calls, utg limp re-raises. I call, bb calls.

flop 10aj 2 diamonds

bb bets, utg calls, I raise both call

turn k non diamond

checked to me and I check too (bet here to charge the diamonds? I'd really rather just save the chance of getting check raised and put in an ugly situation...?)

river 3 non diamond

bb checks, utg bets, i call, bb mucks

How was my play?

biggambler
02-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Why no bet on the turn? Are you afraid that someone has a straight? Give them a chance to FOLD!

Clarkmeister
02-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Looks fine.

37offsuit
02-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Yeah, it's hard to put your opponent on a hand here. He limp reraised, so that screams AA or KK if he's a strong player, a few others if he's a bit weaker.

UTG's post flop play says KK to me. On a very scary board BB's bet which he calls and then your raise says someone's got the A and someone's on the flush draw so he backs off. The turn K puts the 4 straight on board, so I'm guessing now he's seeing you with AQ. He figures if you bet he'll pay to see if the board pairs.

When you check out and then the BB checks the river, he figures he's good.

Don't know if he'd lay down this hand if you bet the turn and the river. I do know that he would likely check to you on the river had you bet the turn.

mikeyvegas
02-13-2004, 04:48 PM
Just curious, is AJo a good raising hand after UTG limps(I'm assuming poster is in EP or MP) ?

BTW, I liked how you played this hand post flop.

bicyclekick
02-13-2004, 04:59 PM
utg turned over 55. MHIG.

I'm glad you guys think I played pretty well.

I still wanna know about pf too

Nate tha' Great
02-13-2004, 05:09 PM
I really prefer a raise here. In fact, the presence of the limper gives you more incentive to raise, since people will often limp from EP with hands like A8s and JT, both of which you have dominated. You could well wind up having the Button, up against just the limper and one of the blinds, and that's a very profitable situation.

On the other hand ... limping can be contageous, and having two EP limpers gives plenty of overlay for other speculative hands that might want to come along, leaving AJo out of position against a large field, a really cruddy spot for it.

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, is AJo a good raising hand after UTG limps(I'm assuming poster is in EP or MP) ?

BTW, I liked how you played this hand post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

BugsBunny
02-13-2004, 05:11 PM
AJo from EP I'll usually open-raise, and limp after a limper. Automuck to a raise in front. But it's really table/opponent dependent. If the limper has loose standards then raising is fine. If the table is so loose that most people will coldcall your raise then I would tend to open limp.

The main reason for open-raising with this hand is to thin the field. It much prefers fewer opponents. If you have some good players in, still to act, then lean more towards limping. If a good player limps in front then either limp behind, or consider folding (depends what range of hands he might limp with. And if he has the ability to limp with AK or AA, for example, then you should definitely consider folding)

symak
02-13-2004, 05:38 PM
You don't really indicate where you were. Next to UTG ETC. I would more tend to raise with this hand towards the button. Trying to get heads up with the limper.
Early or middle position I would shy away from raising much. Once in a while to mix up your play is okay though. Reason being if someone behind makes it 3 you would have to consider dropping depending on the raiser and if anyone else calls 3 cold.

As for the play of that hand, it was fine. I really don't see much value in betting on 4th here. The board looks dangerous, so you really would only get called by the same or better hand. If there was a better hand out there they would most likely check raise anyway.