PDA

View Full Version : Two overpair flop check-raises

ElSapo
02-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is EP2

Hero raises, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB 3-bets, Hero caps, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, BB calls

Flop(16 1/2 SB): 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets, BB folds, Hero raises, MP1 calls, MP2 calls

Turn(11 1/4 BB): 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero bets, MP1 folds, MP2 calls

River(13 1/4 BB): 3/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets, MP2 calls

---

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif and is SB

UTG limps, EP1 limps, MP2 limps, Button folds, Hero raises, BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls, MP2 calls

Flop(9 SB): J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, UTG checks, EP1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero raises, UTG folds, EP1 folds, MP2 calls

Turn(7 BB): A/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets, MP2 calls

River(9 BB): 6/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero checks, MP2 checks

Joe Tall
02-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Value bet the river in Hand#2.

Peace,
Joe Tall

J.R.
02-13-2004, 03:37 PM
I'd instinctively bet the flop in hand 1 hoping to 3 bet but checking is superior because the pot is huge (so no one drawing live will fold for one bet) and if it gets checked through there would seem to be a good chance the BB bets into you on the turn and you can face everyone with calling two big bets on the turn in this big pot.

But then again the BB folded to one bet on the flop so...

In Hand 2 I don't see as pressing a need to attempt the check-raise to deny others odds as was present in Hand 1. In Hand 2 its more likely that you could get a hand that was drawing live against you (i.e. one overcard) to fold to a single flop bet in this relatively smaller pot with a unconnected board than you could in Hand 1. QQ is also a more vulnerable holding than AA so a free card is more dangerous in a Hand 2 than in Hand 1 as free card is more likely to cost you the pot in Hand 2 while in Hand 1 a free card will most likely only cost you a small bet or two.

Bet the river in hand 2.

BottlesOf
02-13-2004, 03:48 PM
They both look fine. I think I'd bet out the flop on the first hand, but the c/r works too.

The only problems are:

Why did you check the river in hand 2?

Where did that frog go? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ElSapo
02-13-2004, 03:58 PM
In the first hand my plan involved checking the flop through and then raising the turn. When it got bet in the wrong spot I raised it anyways but also considered waiting until the turn to check-raise. However, I thought there was a chance my opponent would check behind the turn.

ElSapo
02-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Why did you check the river in hand 2?

I have an irrational fear of aces at party. Actually, many times it's not irrational. I agree a river bet was in order.

Where did that frog go?

He's been momentarily replaced by the wheel straight flush I pulled in stud/8. The frog will return, after I stop thinking so fondly of that last three of diamonds.*

*see long-winded, pointless and hopefully entertaining post in News, Views...

WDC
02-13-2004, 04:15 PM
I have been playing exclusively live in 2004 (part of a deal with the missus), but how the heck do you get people to bet after you capped pre-flop and cheked the flop. I don't think I would have any confidence that I would be able to get the check raise in so I am betting out 100% of the time. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I am especially betting out with the queens since I am not giving a raggedy sooted ace afree chanc e to snap me off.

I am still amazed that you got to check raise both of these. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jezebel
02-13-2004, 04:38 PM
I like both hands. The added benefit is in the future if you miss the flop from EP with a hand like AK, you are likely to get to see the turn for free. If you do get to see the turn for free, many times a bet from you will pick up the pot since it might look like you missed your checkraise attmept on the flop and are now afraid it will get checked around. Very nice way to balance your play.

However, I would be careful in checkraising overpairs lower than KK. Free overcards to your pocket pair just suck.

P.S. - Congrats on your steel wheel in stud/8!!