PDA

View Full Version : TT in BB, what to do at river?

BIGRED
02-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is BB

MP1(poster) checks, Button limps, SB folds, Hero raises, MP1(poster) calls, Button calls

Flop(7 SB): 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets, MP1 calls, Button calls

Turn(5 BB): 2/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero checks, MP1 checks, Button bets, Hero raises, MP1 folds, Button calls

River(9 BB): 8/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero checks, Button checks

River play continues to baffle me. I think I was right to raise PF even though I was out of position. Tell me if I'm wrong. And I think my check raise at the turn was also a good play. Again, tell me if you think otherwise.

But what about river?
Based on his betting so far, I figured he was still on a draw going into the river and when the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif came, I chickened out of betting the river.

What would you have done?

Result to follow...

Joe Tall
02-13-2004, 10:42 AM
I think you played this hand very well up to the river where yous should have placed a value bet.

Peace,
Joe Tall

DonWaade
02-13-2004, 10:47 AM
All in all you played well. Checkraising the turn looked good, but bet the river for a value bet

BIGRED
02-13-2004, 10:49 AM
He had J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Open ended straight draw going into the river.
I guess my river play didn't really make a difference.

Just out of curiosity, what's the rule on showing your hand when everyone checks at the river? I thouhgt that if you have auto-muck "on", then you muck your hand if you lose or aren't called. Unless this rule doesn't apply when everyone checks at the river, why would he show me his hand?

Tosh
02-13-2004, 10:50 AM
I'd go ahead and bet this river. Figuring him for something like A9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

DonWaade
02-13-2004, 10:52 AM
If he does not have "Auto-Muck" on he/she will be given the option to show cards. I am not sure why people show their losing hands tho. . . gamesmanship? Dunno

Joe Tall
02-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Some players show, you should be happy. If this is online however and both of you go to a showdown, you can get the hand history emailed to see what he had, btw.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Schmed
02-13-2004, 10:58 AM
I had a 10,10 hand like this last week in 10-20. I didn't raise preflop but I had 5 players to me. I think with the low number of players the raise gets better.

On the flop I tend to bet out in these situations because this flop may not have hit anyone and it's a worst case scenario to have this checked around.

Yeah the river you probably missed a bet. He's probably calling you down with A9s or something.

BIGRED
02-13-2004, 11:35 AM
I see this term a lot but I don't really know what it means...

So in this case, if I bet and he did have the flush that I was afraid of, what do I do? Call?

Don't I have a legitimate concern for a flush since he bet when I checked and called when I raised him at the turn?

chesspain
02-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Assuming Hero had no read on his opponent, if Hero had bet the river, should he have called a raise, with the paired 8s and the runner-runner flush on the board?

Jim Easton
02-13-2004, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't I have a legitimate concern for a flush

[/ QUOTE ]

Never say never . . . but there was no flush draw on the flop and he called on the flop.

You will lose to people who call with only a backdoor draw on the flop, but you can't play the river afraid of the runner, runner. Bet the river. The bets you gain when the flush isn't there will far outweigh the bets lost when the flush did get there.

BIGRED
02-13-2004, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't I have a legitimate concern for a flush

[/ QUOTE ]

Never say never . . . but there was no flush draw on the flop and he called on the flop.

You will lose to people who call with only a backdoor draw on the flop, but you can't play the river afraid of the runner, runner. Bet the river. The bets you gain when the flush isn't there will far outweigh the bets lost when the flush did get there.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if I get raised? For the value bet idea to work, I would have to call it, right?

Joe Tall
02-13-2004, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming Hero had no read on his opponent, if Hero had bet the river, should he have called a raise, with the paired 8s and the runner-runner flush on the board?

[/ QUOTE ]

With such a st8/flush + paired board I'd fold to a raise after check-raising the turn.

Peace,
Joe Tall