PDA

View Full Version : SB and BB hands that get you in trouble.

BigEndian
02-12-2004, 11:03 PM
I'm curious how people deal with these hands that we're not particularly interested in playing but we basically forced to by limpers. They're great when you make a huge hand, but not when you make a trouble hand.

For example:
You get T6o in the BB and get a free ride.

Flop TT2 rainbow.
You bet out into a crowd and get 2 callers.

Turn: K
You bet out again and you're raised at the end...

Can you get away from this hand?

I'm sure there are better examples, this is just from the top of my head.

- Jim

symak
02-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Depends on the person that raised you. If they are loose and wild. I would stay, and at least check and call on the end. If it was someone very tight that would only raise if they had the nuts. Then you would have to drop.
In general I could not see checking and calling as being a bad play in almost all cases on the end with this hand.

BigEndian
02-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Sure, situations sometimes can dictate tossing this hand against a well identified player. But, on the whole, even if you feel you're beat, can you bring yourself to lay this down?

I find myself calling down regardless and rarely has it turned out to be the winner unless I improve on the end (against odds). Makes me wonder if this is a leak.

- Jim

HajiShirazu
02-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Lol, the person raising you doesn't have to have a ten...they could easily have just paired one of their overcards. Many will never believe that someone would bet a ten. Also, the fact that there is only one ten left in the deck makes them holding a ten less likely. Plus you can suck out with a board pair at the end. All of these possibilities in combination make check-calling worthwhile.

steveyz
02-13-2004, 12:42 AM
For most large pots, you don't have to be "right" very often for it to be correct to call down. Sometimes in hands like these, your odds of improving to at least a chop is quite high.

BigEndian
02-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Yes Haji, I know this. It's also equally likely that the person was willing to let me bet the flop while being in position to raise the turn.

And playing a hand because you might suck out on the end to win (against odds usually) or to split (again, likely against odds unless the pot is huge) doesn't seem like a worthy plan. More like, I'm calling down regardless and using an excuse to do so.

- Jim

bernie
02-13-2004, 11:30 AM
im not getting away from this hand on the turn. you havent played it the way many opponents will play trips. id put the raiser on a K and 3 bet it. he probably puts you on a 2 or a mid pair.

flopping trips isnt really a 'trouble' hand situation. flopping top pair crap kicker with no other reasonable draw are the trouble hands. there was a recent post about a hand like this. it was a K9s hand. not sure the title.

b

BigEndian
02-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks bernie, I probably picked the wrong example.

I've also noticed this if I flop top pair, weak kicker (K2o for instance). I'll bet out to see where I'm at, get called in a few spots then raised... Now is the interesting decision of I'm getting odds to call and take a shot at two pair on the turn, if I think my two-pair would be good. Even if I whiff on the turn, the pot is fairly large now and I have top pair. There's an aweful temptation to chase.

- Jim

BIGRED
02-13-2004, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks bernie, I probably picked the wrong example.

I've also noticed this if I flop top pair, weak kicker (K2o for instance). I'll bet out to see where I'm at, get called in a few spots then raised... Now is the interesting decision of I'm getting odds to call and take a shot at two pair on the turn, if I think my two-pair would be good. Even if I whiff on the turn, the pot is fairly large now and I have top pair. There's an aweful temptation to chase.

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm relatively new to poker, and have been posting here a lot recently. And the kind of hands you describe are the hands I feel like I want to post for review, but then I say to myself... well, you already know the answer because you've been screwed by these before so why bother? But then, like you said, by the time you come to that realization, the pot has grown to a such size that you can't get a way from it.

Another example is when you have TPTK, and you get raised on the turn. My experience so far tells me that when you get raised on the turn with a board that KINDA looks like someboady can have something to beat your TPTK, usually that person has something better.

I just wonder how other player (better player than me) handle these situation. Or are these borderline scenarios that really get judged depending on your opponent?