PDA

View Full Version : AQo party 2/4

bicyclekick
02-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Only read I have on the table is utg is an absolute fish that calls 104o utg and check/calls the flop when it missed him anyhow.

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is EP2

UTG limps, EP1 raises, Hero 3-bets, Button caps, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls, Hero calls

Flop(17 1/2 SB): Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG checks, EP1 checks, Hero checks, Button bets, UTG calls, EP1 raises, Hero 3-bets, Button folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls

Turn(13 3/4 BB): 7/images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, UTG calls, EP1 calls

River(16 3/4 BB): T/images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, UTG folds, EP1 calls

How was my play on the streets

Richie Rich
02-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Pretty strong play, if you ask me. UTG and EP1 obviously weren't on a flush draw, since they would've raised on the turn &/or river. However, given the rainbow texture of the board on the flop, I would have smooth called EP1's raise on the flop and check-raised him on the turn. Could've extracted a little more money, but hindsight is 20/20.

bicyclekick
02-12-2004, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty strong play, if you ask me. UTG and EP1 obviously weren't on a flush draw, since they would've raised on the turn &/or river. However, given the rainbow texture of the board on the flop, I would have smooth called EP1's raise on the flop and check-raised him on the turn. Could've extracted a little more money, but hindsight is 20/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can I check raise a player that acts before me?

J.R.
02-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Not to just be a mouthpiece for a 2+2 standard play, but fold AQo to EP raises unelss you have good reason to believe the EP raiser is comming in real light.

I would generally bet into the button on the flop, hoping he raises so you can inspire any broadway gutshots, pair and backdoor flush draws and pocket pairs to fold. I dont like check-raising in this spot as you trap everybody and ensure gutshots have the odds to call on the turn. I favor just trying to win the big pots, and I think this qualifies.

Nice check-3-bet on the flop though, hope AQ won as those 2-4 tables can be very passive.

Richie Rich
02-12-2004, 06:55 PM
My apologies...I meant raise his bet on the turn.
Smells like he had AK or KK.

chesspain
02-12-2004, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to just be a mouthpiece for a 2+2 standard play, but fold AQo to EP raises unelss you have good reason to believe the EP raiser is comming in real light.

[/ QUOTE ]

No apologies needed for this pithy pearl!

colgin
02-12-2004, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. HPFAP specifically says that even in loose games you need to beware of an early position raiser with AQo if you are in early position. My experience is that even among many of the Party $2/4 fish who will limp or cold call with almost any 2 cards they often have tighter raising standards. If you know that this player will raise with real junk then try and isolate him. However, this fish may still only be raising from EP with hands like AA-JJ or AK and with the exception of JJ you are well behind if it gets to be heads up. Even if he raised JJ or lower pocket pairs, you are still a small underdog heads up.