PDA

View Full Version : Playing when you flop Overcards

Warik
02-12-2004, 02:32 PM
WLLH's discussion on postflop play with overcards mentions that you're likely to lose more by misplaying overcards than you are to win when you play them well (or something to that extent).

How do you feel about continuing past the flop when all you have are overcards? Some examples.

1) QJs on the button, rainbow flop with one of your suit.
2) AJs in MP, rainbow flush w/none of your suit - no backdoor straight possibility.
3) KQo in LP, rainbow flush w/none of your suit - no backdoor straight draw possibility.
4) #1-#3 this time with two suited flop cards not in your suit.

I know it's on a case-by-case basis depending on how many people are in, how big the pot is, and where your position is, but in general, is flopping overcards a check-and-fold situation or are there special cases where you'll want to call a bet (or even open the betting/raise).

I rarely let go of overcards on the flop and this could be a major hole in my game.

Kenshin
02-12-2004, 02:36 PM
I would be more inclined to continue past the flop in hands 1 and 3 if the pot odds justified it. In hand 1, the back door flush justifies calling a bet on the flop. In hand 3, I believe you have more clean outs than in hand 2