PDA

View Full Version : I hate AJo

JDErickson
02-12-2004, 12:53 PM
2 AJo hands

Loose Party Table. No specific read on opponent.

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif and is UTG

Hero raises, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls

Flop(14 SB): 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, EP1 folds, EP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls

Turn(9 BB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, CO folds, SB folds, BB calls

River(11 BB): 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, Hero checks

Comments?

Results later

Hand 2: Same table

Party Poker 2/4 (9 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is CO

EP1 limps, Hero raises, Button 3-bets, SB folds, UTG folds, EP1 calls, Hero calls

Flop(10 1/2 SB): 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif

EP1 checks, Hero bets, Button raises, EP1 folds, Hero 3-bets, Button caps, Hero calls

Turn(9 1/4 BB): T/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls

River(11 1/4 BB): J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero bets, Button folds

Comments?

Results later

scotnt73
02-12-2004, 12:57 PM
not to be rude but i dont like any af it on the first hand. i wouldnt raise preflop with AJo UTG. i wouldnt bluff at 6 people on the flop. i wouldnt bluff the people who just called me on the turn. the river looks fine though /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

mmanne
02-12-2004, 12:57 PM
I've gotten rid of playing AJ for this specific reason. I've recognized that I play a little too aggressively post-flop, so not playing questionable high-card hands is one way to fix some leaks. The only time I play AJ is in a steal position, or to isolate a bad player, but each of those requires me being in late position.

Does anyone think I'm giving up too much by doing this?

Brian
02-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi JD,

Hand #1: I agree 100% with scotnt on your post-Flop play. Check fold the Flop, there is no shame in doing that when you are cold-called in that many places. What to do with AJo UTG has been beat to death on these forums. My default play is to open-raise it, but if you are routinely getting that many cold-callers, then I think limping is fine.

Hand #2: I think you got too overaggressive with your AJ when the Button 3-bet you pre-Flop. Betting the Flop is fine, but I go into calldown mode when he raises you. If he has AK and buys himself a free card to his 3-outer on the Turn, thats fine with me. Otherwise, you're probably drawing to a 3-outer (or no outs) yourself. Check-call it down, don't re-raise the Flop.

-Brian

ElSapo
02-12-2004, 01:19 PM
If he has AK and buys himself a free card to his 3-outer on the Turn, thats fine with me.

Seven. But yeah, just call, you can't fold. Tough to play b/c of position.

EDIT -- On the flop, yeah, three. My mistake for trying to be a smartass...

BottlesOf
02-12-2004, 01:25 PM
I probably muck hand 1 pf.

Did you consider a c/r on the river for hand 2?

laxrulz777
02-12-2004, 02:01 PM
you're giving up alot by not playing this... at the very least you should probably try to limp in UTG or come in for a raise if the table is tight. Not playing AJo is a mistake

chesspain
02-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Hand 1: Being out of position on a very loose table, I'ld probably muck this preflop. On the flop, I would be checkfolding.

Hand 2: I think you played this fine, although I also think that you were probably behind to a premium pocket pair until the river.

Brian
02-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi chesspain,

Given that his opponent folded the River, I somewhat doubt that he was against AA-QQ.

-Brian

Trix
02-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Muck AJo UTG
Hand 2. Dont 3Bet flop. Think I would have tried to checkraise river.

Clarkmeister
02-12-2004, 02:26 PM
"Does anyone think I'm giving up too much by doing this?"

Pokerroom EV stats in BBs: AJo
SB +0.03
BB +0.11
UTG +0.03
6 +0.10
5 +0.10
4 +0.07
3 +0.15
2 +0.09
CO +0.19
D +0.15

Yes.

JDErickson
02-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanx for all the responses.

Hand 1: AJo UTG very tricky hand. Not sure I have the skill to play correctly postflop. May have to think about folding. Normally unless the flop is terrible I usually fire off another bet if I raised PF. In this case I think it worked well because I was not raised and had a good idea my hand was good. I put my opponent on a draw. I figued I had to charge him for that draw.

Opponent flipped J8h for the flush draw and MHIG.

Hand 2:
I sucked out here. I know it. Way overplayed on the flop. I should have called the raise and CK.folded the turn I believe.

Jim

HajiShirazu
02-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Hmm I would usually just limp with AJ utg. If I was running bad, I wouldn't play it, and in late position with only a few limpers in an unraised pot, I would raise. I also always raise with it anywhere in a 6 max game.
Anyway if you are going to raise, there's no reason to bluff at that flop into that many players. Just give it up.
Can't believe button folded for one bet on the river in the second hand. I would have played the second hand the same way, except I probably wouldn't have 3-bet the flop.

Clarkmeister
02-12-2004, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2:
I sucked out here. I know it. Way overplayed on the flop. I should have called the raise and CK.folded the turn I believe.

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, he had a flush draw. You didn't suck out.

chesspain
02-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Brian,

DUH for me!

CrackerZack
02-12-2004, 03:28 PM
If he pulls it off his opponent is nuts.

Hand 1 is tough. I'd open-limp likely here. After raising I'd likely also bet the flop and pray. After you nearly folded everyone behind you on the flop, i like the turn bet. River is fine, lucky.

Hand 2 I don't like any of the post flop play. He's absolutely gonna bet this flop so I'd go for the check-raise. when 3-bet you can start to consider your beat, but I wouldn't be sure until he bet the turn and even then I'd only be partially sure. ni han.