PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Patience leak creeping in!

Pitcher
02-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi All,

I talked about playing more at Pokerstars and that the adjustment would not be much. Well, I stand corrected. I am finding myself trying to force the action late by being a bit over aggressive. When down to 6 players on $30-50 Sit N Go's it is really testing my patience. Here is a hand that perfecttly illustrates this.

Medium Stack of 1900 in LP
MP moves all in with T1350.
I am holding AK. I put him on a small PP, making me a 55-45 dog. Instead of taking a pass, I call. Why play a -EV hand in this situation? Mainly because the game was just dragging along and I want some ACTION. Of course, I lose and am crippled. I eventually bust out when the blinds get large on an all-in with A5.

Time to start reading Killer Poker Online again because it talks about controlling boredom and keeping a baseline of discipline. I do keep a nice poker journal and I am writing in it....furiously repeating my mantra's about patience and discipline. It seems to help.

I know everyone faces these issues, so how do you cope?
Suggestions appreciated!

Pitcher

Prickly Pete
02-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Maybe you made your determination based on the fact that he overbet the pot. If that's the case, then ignore the rest. But assuming an allin was the standard raise for his stack (like if blinds were 150-300), then how can you assume he has a small pair and not possibly AQ, AJ, KK etc?
In which case a call would be fine.

ohkanada
02-12-2004, 03:43 PM
You don't mention the blinds but I would often re-raise with AK in your situation. With low blinds I might just muck but if the blinds are at 100-200 I certainly re-raise all-in. I expect to see a pair a little more often as I expect to see a weaker Ace or King.

Ken Poklitar

Pitcher
02-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Sorry guys,

The blinds were small. That was the 1st. hand he went all in on. There were not many all ins at that point and only one player left that I would consider loose. This was not one of those players. I just figured he had a small pair and did not want to see a flop with good cards. Of course, he could easily have a dominated hand, it just seemed unlikely, so why call a coinflip?

Pitcher