PDA

View Full Version : 100-200 hand vs agg button raise

latz
02-12-2004, 05:10 AM
4 handed in big blind i call with 9d Jh. Flop qs 9 4s. I check call. Turn is Jc. I check raise, he 3 bets and I cap. River is Qc, I check fold.
comments?

Pipedream
02-12-2004, 05:13 AM
Your problem would be much easier to assess if you actually gave us some information about the hand other than the cards. Read some other posts on hands and see how a little detail goes a long way.

Pipedream

latz
02-12-2004, 05:25 AM
sorry pipe. New at this- post was brief but not much to it really. Aggressive button raised, he raised 4/5 times on button, i called with a marginal hand. Think i might have overplayed my hand on turn, maybe i should have saved a bet to call on riv?

eugeneel
02-12-2004, 05:48 AM
you had three jacks and youdidn't call one bet on the river?
Is this a joke?

DocHollyday
02-12-2004, 05:52 AM

karlson
02-12-2004, 07:10 AM
I assume that what happened was that 3 players limped, the button raised, and everyone including you called. Then it was checked to the button on the flop and you were the only caller.

I think a fold on the flop is almost certainly in order. You are almost certainly beat in at least one spot, and even if you catch a J or 9, there are many redraws against you. Plus, there is a decent chance of a check-raise.

On the turn, the check-raise is probably fine, but I think most players will not make it 3 bets even with AA here, so the cap is by no means automatic.

I'd sure feel sick if he flashed me AsKs on the river, but I guess you knew him well enough for the fold to be easy.

nykenny
02-12-2004, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
comments?

[/ QUOTE ]
don't like. why not bet or C/R on flop and lead turn? u will get same or better info with less money.

additionally, turn brings Q94J, what do you want him to put u on?

Kenny

SossMan
02-12-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you had three jacks and youdidn't call one bet on the river?
Is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread the post...he had two pair on the turn and the Q paired on the river, counterfitting his 2 pair.

eugeneel
02-12-2004, 04:14 PM
he edited his post. The way it was written be4 he had trip jacks.

J.A.Sucker
02-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Preflop you have an easy call. In some other post, you consider this a marginal hand. It's not. In fact, you may want to "get out of line" and raise sometimes in a short game. However, calling is the 90% line of play, and my stock forum answer.

You flopped great. Check raise 100% of the time here. Against an aggressive player, you should be checking a lot of hands; check-folding some real dogs, and check raising better hands. Until he takes the autobet button off, you should checkraise. WHen he starts checking behind, then you can start leading out.

As you played it, then check-raising the turn is a given. His 3 bet means one of two things. He either has a showdown hand and wants to try the slow-down, check behind move, with some hope you'll fold, or he has a monster. I guess there's some chance that he's openeded, with TT, too. Capping is fine, since it's online, I assume, though calling down is also an option. In a live game, just call for sure.

On the river, you can't give up. Bet out yourself or just check-call. If you're gonna put in all that action, give yourself a chance to win. Yeah, he's probably got you beat, but you don't think he'd bet TT here out of desperation? How about a hand like AsTs?

latz
02-12-2004, 07:21 PM
posted it while playing- anyway too late to edit. Game was 4 handed and button open raised.
That said I agree with you JA. Thanks for reply.

DiamondDave
02-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Calling on the end when you think you'll lose the showdown is a small mistake with positive spillover effects. (Your opponents will be less likely to try to put moves on you if you generally call the last bet after putting in a lot of action.)

Folding a winner heads-up on the river is a huge mistake when the pot is big.