PDA

View Full Version : Book for Low Stakes No Limit Hold'em?

Prolificc
02-12-2004, 05:10 AM
I've been playing low stakes (usually .10/.20, $25 buy in) No Limit Hold'em for around 6 months.

Would the usually recommended books such as Hold'em Poker,
Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players, and Winning Low Limit Hold'em be suitable for my style of game?

I already plan on getting Theory of Poker.

Thanks

lunchmeat
02-12-2004, 06:29 AM
Welcome to the forums Prolificc

The 3 books you mentioned pertain specifically to limit hold 'em. The consensus around here seems to be that the best No-Limit book is "Pot Limit & No Limit Poker" by Stuart Rueben and Bob Ciaffone. I've only had the opportunity to read a few chapters but the information seems solid as far as I can tell.

The Theory of Poker is a little overrated in my opinion, but it's still probably a worthwhile read as it will teach you the more universal poker concepts that can be applied to all games.

Good luck.

Prolificc
02-12-2004, 05:29 PM
So you don't think that those books have enough general Hold'em information not pertaining to low-limit play for them to be useful to me?

Thanks

MarkD
02-12-2004, 07:01 PM
They have great advice for LIMIT play - both low limit and mid/high limit, but they have no advice at all with regards to NO LIMIT.

It's a different game with different strategies and hence different book recommendations.

Your Mom
02-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Here I will write a book for you.

Wait for a good hand. Bet a decent amount. They will call. Bet more. They will call. Bet again. They will call. You will win.

artman
02-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Yeah, unless someone started with a better hand or they draw out on you. My advice is to purchase the Pot limit & No limit poker book by Ciaffone/Reuben. It has excellent information on stack size compared to the blinds. And more. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Beach-Whale
02-16-2004, 01:12 AM
I haven't played much no-limit, but from what I have heard, Super System still is a must read for no-limit players.

Maybe you want to wait for the new edition I have been hearing about.