PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't anyone wanna complain about CANADIAN politics?

MattHatter
02-12-2004, 03:57 AM
Well.. don't they?

And i don't mean take cheep shots at Canadians, lol /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Matt

bigpooch
02-12-2004, 06:50 AM
Some of my friends think Canada is not so bad now that
Mulroney is gone! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MMMMMM
02-12-2004, 07:15 AM
I remember hearing something to the effect that Chretien ran the Canadian economy into the ground or something? ;-) Perhaps you could elaborate.

Wake up CALL
02-12-2004, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well.. don't they?

And i don't mean take cheep shots at Canadians, lol /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Matt, Canada is pretty much irrelevant in today's political matters so what is to complain about? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wake

scotnt73
02-12-2004, 12:07 PM
at least its harder to get pulled over because even my car can out run a guy on a horse. ba-dum-pum!

Diplomat
02-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Well, there are many things to complain about, depending on who you talk to. On my current [censored] list are: lack of choice in the electoral system; failing medi-care; rising university tuition; lack of collectivist rights in the Charter; a few other things.

We just don't have the audience here to complain.

-Diplomat

Diplomat
02-12-2004, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry Matt, Canada is pretty much irrelevant in today's political matters so what is to complain about? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. If you meant in relation to the US, If I recall correctly, Canada is the US's largest trade partner. The problem is that we have no balls when it comes to trade policy, so you'd hardly ever notice us. (save for a few notable exceptions, such as generic drugs and softwood lumber..sort of)

If I assume you define "today's poltical matters" as international politics, you are flat wrong.

And I think the question was more something like "Doesn't anyone want to complain about domestic Canadian politics?"

Of course, you could have meant it in jest, and now I look like an ass. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Diplomat

Wake up CALL
02-12-2004, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, you could have meant it in jest, and now I look like an ass. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Diplomat
02-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Oh c'mon man, let it go and be a jackass back. This string could be HUGE. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Diplomat

Gamblor
02-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Alfonso Gagliano should be shot. Discuss.

The Fiberals are running the country into the ground. Discuss.

In a few years we will have the best looking Prime Minister in world history. Vote Belinda Stronach!

MattHatter
02-12-2004, 02:41 PM
In the spirit of Gamblors post:

The Ontario Liberals (and im no consservative) are lying liars. Daulton McGuinty should be ashamed of himself. And we collectively should be ashamed for allowing/believing them to say the things they did to get elected. And the promises they made. I cannot accept that they had NO idea as to the state of the finances of the govt before they got into power. I mean they were the opposition... the financial records are public. It's thier JOB to be on top of these things. Sheesh. Lying Liar.

Discuss /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Softwood Lumber. The trade arbitration sided in our favor.. but.. from what I understand we have a ton of crown land that we give to the big lumber producers for a pittance, a 'stumpage' fee, and there is little or no competition for this because of the abundance of forest. If I am not mistaken... the US makes companies bit for the rights to log. We should do the same. As crown land this belongs to all of US and we do not need to effectively subsidize lumber in order to make it marketable on the international market. THIS is where we shoulde look for new tax revenue.

Discuss.

Paul Martin (The new PM (that's like a president /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)). It may be the name of the game in the international shipping biz but the fact that he moved his company offshore (Canda Steamship Lines) to avoid paying corporate taxes and suppoorting this fine country that has treated him so well, makes me question his personal comittment/ideology towards this country. And now the fact that the govenment misunderestimated (love that one thanks GW) the AMT of federal contract to his company while he was finance minister by a factor of... Get a load of this 1000! that 110k turned out to be 110 million? Is there no honor in politics? Is he a thief AND a liar?

Discuss.

We have no Opposition party. The NDP? The conservative train wreck? Those yogic flying guys? The bloc quebeqouis?

Discuss.

That indian reserve where the chief called in some new cops to combat organized crime (which is RAMPANT on border reserves in ontario and quebec due to smuggling) gets all the new cops barricaded in the station by the supporters of organized crime. Has his house burned down and is run out of town. And whats to be done.. we negotiate a settlement with the criminals and the status quo remains? Would this sort of lawlessness be allowed to continue anywhere else in the country? (Rex Murphy had a great opinion piece on this where he describesd it but left out the native angle.. and it was just unbelievable that such a thing could take place.)

Discuss.

Pot was de-facto LEGAL in Ontario this last summer!

Discuss

Matt

MattHatter
02-12-2004, 02:46 PM
At least it looks as though Alfonso is gonna get what he deserves (more or less).

THough if he becomes the scapegoat for the whole affair.. I will be dreadfully dissatisfied.

Matt

MattHatter
02-12-2004, 02:49 PM
If I recall correctly, Canada is the US's largest trade partner.

as an interesting side note Canada is the #1 supplier of Energy to the US.

If I remember correctly, we are 2nd behind the Saudis for Oil supply and when combined with Natural Gas we're #1

Next thing you know.. we'll be hiding WMD.

Matt

Gamblor
02-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Yes, it was, here's how:

In 2001, the Supreme Court of Ontario declared that the current laws regarding Marijuana use as a criminal offense were in violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (our constitution). In light of recent medical research advocating the use of marijuana for various ailments (i.e. appetite stimulation and nausea suppression for chemotherapy patients), that the current laws did not allow for the medical treatment approved by doctors and of the patient's choosing

The court gave parliament one year to change the law; As a result of further legal action, courts in Ontario, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island ruled the marijuana possession law null and void for a few months this summer.

Rest assured, I had a great summer. You haven't lived til you've smoked a joint in the SkyDome during a Jays game.

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled 6-3 in December that the federal law making possession of small amounts of marijuana illegal does not violate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and that jailing someone in possession is within the Charter.

This means that marijuana policy reform is going to be up to the government, which has been mulling over plans for decriminalization for some time (despite objections from the United States Minister of Drug Policy "Disinformation" John Walters).

It all boils down to debates over what amount consists of decriminalized small possession (5? 10? 15? grams) and how much they're going to jack up the penalties for dealers and growers to "balance" the decriminalization - a far cry from the Senate's original call for outright legalization.

Wake up CALL
02-12-2004, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I recall correctly, Canada is the US's largest trade partner.

as an interesting side note Canada is the #1 supplier of Energy to the US.

If I remember correctly, we are 2nd behind the Saudis for Oil supply and when combined with Natural Gas we're #1

Next thing you know.. we'll be hiding WMD.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

God I hope so, it has been so long since I've witnessed a US government invasion of another country in person. Iraq was just too far to travel. Perhaps if the war against Canada is a success we'll try Mexico on for size next. Heck if we take over enough countries, call them parts of the USA our future enemies will not know who or where to attack. The more I think about this plan the more it makes sense. VIVA La Revolution!!!

Wake

Gamblor
02-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Yeah you guys really did well in 1812.

Fort York was a high point for you, I believe.

Regardless, Canada already hides WMDs. Tie Domi is located at 40 Bay St. I believe he'll be there tonight. I await "shock and awe". Decapitation attacks have so far been proven failures.

Wake up CALL
02-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Gamblor,

I suggest you attempt to only defend one country at a time. Be good else the US will offer Yassar a handful of uranium and a couple of suitcases! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThaSaltCracka
02-12-2004, 05:00 PM
To be honest with you I don't think many Americans know or care much about Canadian politics/government, but what the hell I'll try.
1. Whats the deal with your former PM? I didn't hear good things about him, were Canadiens fed up with him by the end of his tenure?
2. Do ya'll smoke pot up there or what?
3. Health Care, it sounds terrible to me, but then again I have an HMO, so what do I know. do you guys like paying everyones medical bills?
4. Why is beer so expensive up there, especially Vancouver? WTF????
5. here is a good argument, this may take everyones attention away from this threads intended purposes but here it goes.... Americans make way better beer than you guys. I am not saying, atleast not for the moment, that Americans make the best beer in the world, but damn we sure got you guys beat! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DISCUSS!!

Diplomat
02-12-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4. Why is beer so expensive up there, especially Vancouver? WTF????

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's not ant-piss. /images/graemlins/grin.gif If you want expensive beer, try Montreal. (I payed 9 bucks for a pint last week)

[ QUOTE ]

.... Americans make way better beer than you guys. I am not saying, atleast not for the moment, that Americans make the best beer in the world, but damn we sure got you guys beat! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DISCUSS!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be joking.

-Diplomat

Diplomat
02-12-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Ontario Liberals (and im no consservative) are lying liars. Daulton McGuinty should be ashamed of himself. And we collectively should be ashamed for allowing/believing them to say the things they did to get elected. And the promises they made. I cannot accept that they had NO idea as to the state of the finances of the govt before they got into power. I mean they were the opposition... the financial records are public. It's thier JOB to be on top of these things. Sheesh. Lying Liar.

Discuss /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd put BC, Alberta, and Ontario into the same category for having gawd-awful provincial leadership. In the West we have a primier who berates homeless people while drunk, then busses them to other provinces because he wants to ignore the problem, and another premier who was arrested for DUI while on vacation, while holding office. And still holds office.

I'd also like to add provincial labour law policy in Ontario and BC to the list of things I'm pissed off about.

-Diplomat

ThaSaltCracka
02-12-2004, 06:32 PM
You must be joking.
is that it?
BTW when I was talking about expensive beer I was talking about the $30 a 12-pack for Labatt Blue!!!

MattHatter
02-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Ouch! Now that is expensive.

In ontario you get a case for just over 30.. in Quebec you can get a case for $22 canadian. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You gotta give credit where credit is due. And I'm telling you... cheep beer, the people, the quebecers know how to have fun. If you go to a show/concert/strip-club in montreal man.. you'll never think otherwise.

Matt

MattHatter
02-12-2004, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah you guys really did well in 1812.

Regardless, Canada already hides WMDs. Tie Domi is located at 40 Bay St. I believe he'll be there tonight. I await "shock and awe". Decapitation attacks have so far been proven failures.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
02-12-2004, 08:36 PM
dude down here, 12 pack of Labatt's, $12-14. BTW Labatt's is my favorite Canadian brew. No others really to mention though.
Montreal, now there's a place I want to go. I hear its fun, plus they don't really like being canadian /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
02-12-2004, 08:37 PM
would any of you Canucks like to list or elaborate on a military high point for your military? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

MattHatter
02-12-2004, 09:37 PM
"would any of you Canucks like to list or elaborate on a military high point for your military? " - Wake"

Try this: junobeach.org (http://www.junobeach.org/main.html)

"In September 1939, Canada declared the state of war. Standing up for its allies and summoning all its human, industrial and financial resources in an ongoing war effort, Canada mobilized the mightiest military force in its history."

We did what we could. When did the US join WW2?

Check this out IBM and the Holocaust (http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com/)

This was typical of what big US business thought of hitler /images/graemlins/wink.gif. (Actually I think any foreign big business that was not legally restricted from doing business with the nazis would and did) Business has no morals. Profit only. That book shows that pretty clearly.

I think the US waited 2 more years to even get involved... While IBM was happily profiteering and doing business with the nazis while they began thier extermination of the jews. (particularly watson (founder) of IBM who got a medal from Hitler himself for helping make the holocaust run IBM efficient /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Only when thier own interests were threatened (Dec 7, 1941) and they were forced involuntarily into the war did the US finally push its business interests aside in favor of national security.

Ya'll did a great job when you finallly got there though, don't get me wrong.. and the world thanks you. But the infalated notion that the US 'saved the world' is a load of crap. It was a team effort. All the allies played thier part. Without any member.. UK... Russia.. USA.. they would all have failed.

Matt

PS: My good friend just returned from tour in the candaian peacekeeping mission to Bosnia under NATO. We're leading the current batch of soldiers in Afghanistan as well. That's gotta count for something.

Diplomat
02-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Yeah, good old IBM. I guess someone had to make concentration camp punchcards right?

-Diplomat

Diplomat
02-12-2004, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You must be joking.
is that it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude I'm exhausted and more interested in drinking beer than discussing beer today. But c'mon -- try something other than Blue. Cremore for example (although I think it's only available in Ontario -- we don't export the good stuff), or Kieth's...maybe you like Blue because it's similar to Bud? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Diplomat

ThaSaltCracka
02-12-2004, 11:37 PM
well blue is a pilsner and bud is a lager, just like the taste I guess, thats got to count for something.

ThaSaltCracka
02-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Only when thier own interests were threatened (Dec 7, 1941) and they were forced involuntarily into the war did the US finally push its business interests aside in favor of national security.
the fact that you say this cracks me up. Maybe your not familiar with American foreign policy at that time. America was an isloationist country, they didn't want to get involved in "Europes" war. Also America was trying to get its economy straightened out, remember the great depression.

as for the IBM thing, I don't think anyone knew how bad Hitler was at the time, most people knew nothing about the concentration camps, so don't imply IBM was a partner to the holocaust.

now as for Canada joining the war, the main reason was probably because Britain had declared war, so naturally Canada follows.

ThaSaltCracka
02-12-2004, 11:50 PM
BTW, the Juno Beach thing, every soldier that took place in D-Day gets the upmost props from me, Canadian, American,British, etc......

MattHatter
02-13-2004, 01:31 AM
as for the IBM thing, I don't think anyone knew how bad Hitler was at the time, most people knew nothing about the concentration camps, so don't imply IBM was a partner to the holocaust.

I'm not joking. I read the book...

In the book they would show you the headlines from the New York times which were NOT flattering by any stretch.. people knew EAXACTLY what hitler was up to, I mean europe had been at war for a while at this point. They paralelled the daily headlines with watsons memos and business decisions of the same dates. Unless he never saw a NYTimes or was completely isolated from the world (which he was not)He knew.

Also after Pearl harbor.. when it became illegal to do business with the Nazis.. Watson kept micromanaging and operated the company secretly through swiss proxies in order to keep doing business with the third reich.

Just pior to this tiume it was impossible to do a census of a nation and tabulate the results in any reasonable time. WEre talking 10 years to do it manually.

Watson and IBM were instrumental in developing new technologies and larger punchcards to enable the third reich to quickly conduct census in a conquored country and tabulate the results.. this allowed them to sort out the 1/16 jewish skilled labor in a certain area for instance. I mean IBM literally sent folks from head office to help implement this. Hitler had special informational needs that went above and beyond what most nations used for census' etc.

IBM was right in there developing 'custom' e-business solutions, much like they do today.

I realize that your mind automatically would like to reject the notion that IBM and it's founder would actually actively help hitler implement the final solution. But they/he did. It's well documented.

Matt

PS: You're not personally affiliated in any way with IBM are you? I don't mean to offend.

MattHatter
02-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Federal Liberals re-introduce marijuana bill (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1076627413647&call_pag eid=968332188492&col=968705899037)

Feb. 12, 2004. 09:30 PM

Federal Liberals re-introduce marijuana bill

OTTAWA (CP) — The government reintroduced a bill today to decriminalize possession of small quantities of marijuana, but failed to reduce the maximum threshold from 15 grams.

Any changes would have to be proposed by MPs, said an official in the Prime Minister's Office.

The government wants the law to pass before the next federal election, expected in the spring, in the hope of muting any criticism.

The bill was reintroduced at Third Reading, meaning it won't have to be re-examined by a parliamentary committee. That would change if the House of Commons reduces maximum possession to 10 grams, as was suggested by some Liberal and Conservative MPs.

Justice Minister Irwin Cotler said while marijuana use must be discouraged, it should not result in a criminal record for possessing small amounts.

As it stands, the proposed law would not impose criminal sanctions for possession of enough pot to make about 20 joints. However, fines of up to $400 could be imposed for adults; less for youth.

The legislation would increase maximum penalties for the producers of cannabis.

The Senate would review the bill for several weeks after it passes the Commons.

Matt

ThaSaltCracka
02-13-2004, 02:05 AM
no no I am not affiliated w/ IBM at all, except buyin a comp from them 12 years ago, but that don't count right?
well mostly what I was objecting to was your semi-insinuation that IBM reflected the US or US business at that time.

BTW, almost no one knew exactly what Hitler was doing, the American soldiers that arrived at the concentration camps were stunned, they had no idea what was awaiting them at the camps. I don't think the IBM guy knew precisley why hitler wanted the census tech. although I haven't read the book so maybe I am wrong.

ThaSaltCracka
02-13-2004, 02:11 AM
NOw as I said I don't know much about Canadian politics, however this one I do know something about /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Canadian has this subject right, in some ways Canada is more progressive than the U.S., this particular one I think they have right. If anyone has been reading the Rush on Syria thread, we have been talking about drug abuse, the war on drugs that America has been waging is a huge failure, in particular there desire to punish marijuana offenders. Canada has it right, hopefully the U.S. will follow suit.

MattHatter
02-13-2004, 02:40 AM
"well mostly what I was objecting to was your semi-insinuation that IBM reflected the US or US business at that time."

Sorry. I see what you mean.

They basically did reflect the attitude of most 'big international business" though.

Matt

ThaSaltCracka
02-13-2004, 02:45 AM
They basically did reflect the attitude of most 'big international business" though.
thats possible... but I think in the blame should probably fall on the owner and not the company

anyways..... tell me what you guys think about your former PM(president /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

MattHatter
02-13-2004, 03:21 AM
"anyways..... tell me what you guys think about your former PM"

I think the last viable PM we had was Trudeau... and it looks like bleak future.

Matt

MattHatter
02-13-2004, 10:22 AM
"Perhaps if the war against Canada is a success we'll try Mexico on for size next. Heck if we take over enough countries, call them parts of the USA our future enemies will not know who or where to attack."

The war against canada didn't go that well for the US. I think the white house got burned down. As Rick Mercer said "I see you've rebuilt it, very nice.". Of course we were british then.. and it was almost 200 years ago. I wouldn't wanna replay.. UNCLE! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

War with Mexico. Now that one worked. Ever been to Texas? Guess what? That used to be Mexico (http://www.pbs.org/kera/usmexicanwar/mainframe.html).

And maybe you've got it all wrong.. maybe instead of invading us you should join us? Then when the arab army shows up in YOUR country (like that's even a remote possibility) you can all speak with that Bob n' Doug McKenzie accent and pretend to be canadian "Ohh.. the States Eh? Ohh Yeah.. I see.. makin the jihad are ya.. well you just keep headin south there...." and send em down to Mexico to do the dirty work for us? Then we divvy up Mexico. Deal?

Matt

MattHatter
02-13-2004, 10:27 AM
"I'd also like to add provincial labour law policy in Ontario and BC to the list of things I'm pissed off about."

What's that all about.. I'm not familiar.

Matt

Gamblor
02-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Claimed today to the Globe and Mail that he did his job "honestly".

Hmmm.