PDA

View Full Version : First Tourney Jitters

Griswald79
02-12-2004, 12:57 AM
I have been playing for a couple of months now and I just finished my first Touney. I was doing fine, but then i hit a pot hole. I was in early position and holding /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ. I called and everybody else folded but one limper (SB) Flop was /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K. The next two cards are blanks...they were not /images/graemlins/spade.gif....and prob doesnt matter anyways. I kept betting into the guy (who i figured was a so so player). He just kept on calling until the showdown. We flipped em and he had a ROYAL FLUSH. Beginners bad luck i guess. He was obviously drawing me in, and i didnt realize it. I was compelled to bet because he was calling me and not raising me. Could you guys give me some advise on how to improve my game.

Thanks in advance

Stu Pidasso
02-12-2004, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Could you guys give me some advise on how to improve my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't bet into Royal Flushes.

Stu

<font color="white"> Sorry about being a smart ass, i could not resist. </font>

krazyace5
02-12-2004, 05:05 AM
I don't think you could get away from this one, I would be afraid of a flush but if he was just calling I would probably think I was safe. Of course he wasn't afraid of the possible flush either so he either has it or is on a drawing hand. You could have just tried to check it down but then he probably woulda got aggressive.
I don't know, I think this was just one of those hands.

To improve your game, read books and these forums, post hands to get feedback on how you played them(not just bad beats or losing hands, but even hands where you win so you can get feedback on betting, raising, etc)
Take notes and keep stats(check out pokertracker for this, highly recommended)

By the way I am fairly new at this so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Good Luck

rayrns
02-12-2004, 06:55 AM
Why didn't he raise on the river? You would have lost another BB because you would have had to call after going this far. Maybe he really was just a so so player to have missed one extra bet. It definetly was scary with the flush draw on the board, but I think I would have played it the same. And I would have been happy he missed his bet. Hope you didn't let this one hand set you on tilt. If it left you with any chips, you can still win it. Look at it as just one hand in the game.

kiemo
02-12-2004, 12:12 PM
You will find at micro limit tables/tournaments lots of players are calling stations even with the nuts. They simply will never reraise for some reason.

I have found checking on the turn and folding to raise to be my best play in situations like you had.

uuDevil
02-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Assuming this is limit, I don't think you did anything wrong since your opponent never indicated a big hand. You have to make decisions based on the information you have.

If it were NL and he called a pot-sized flop bet, you might want to back off on the turn and maybe even fold on the river if he makes a big bet. Live to play another hand.

Just my view....

SossMan
02-12-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you guys give me some advise on how to improve my game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't bet into Royal Flushes.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

More helpful information:

If you are going to get rivered, fold on the flop.

If you are going to make a second best hand, fold preflop.

If the flop is gonna come 4 4 9 , alway raise w/ 94 (suited or not)

If you go to sit at a game and see the dealer's nametag says "Oklahoma Johnny"...find another game.

-SossMan /images/graemlins/tongue.gif