PDA

View Full Version : Call with ace high? 5 hands.

Vehn
02-11-2004, 07:50 PM
5 hands where I called on the river with ace high, just looking for some general thoughts here. All are party 15/30 - assume no read on opponents.

#1)

I decide to limp UTG with AsKs. Folded to LP who raises, BB calls, I 3-bet and both call.

Flop: 9h 8s 5c

Checked to me, I bet, both call.

Turn: Qs

BB bets out, I call, LP folds.

River: 2h

BB bets and I call.

#2)

LAG MP open raises and I 3-bet in LP with AsQc. BB calls 2 cold and MP calls.

Flop: 4c 3h 2d

Checked to me, I bet, both call.

Turn: 9h

Checked to me, I bet, BB calls, MP raises, I call, BB folds.

River: 6d

MP bets and I call.

#3)

Folded to a poster in the CO who checks, SB raises, I 3-bet in the BB with AhTd, poster folds and SB calls.

Flop: Ks 3d 2d

SB checks and calls.

Turn: Qh

We both check.

River: 6c

SB bets and I call.

#4)

5 handed game. I raise UTG with AhKc. Player to my left 3-bets, its folded back to me and I call.

I check and call all streets. Board is Th 7s 2s, 8h, 4c.

#5)

5 handed game. CO open raises, button coldcalls, I 3-bet in the SB with AdQh, both call.

Flop: Kc Th 3h

I bet, CO raises, button coldcalls, I call.

Turn: 5c

I check, CO bets, button calls, I call.

River: Ks

I check, CO bets, button folds, I call.

Comments appreciated.

Ulysses
02-11-2004, 08:11 PM
#1) - Since you turned a flush draw, it's less likely that's what he's betting. So, I'd muck the river here.

#2) - I'd check the turn here. If I call the turn checkraise it's because LAG is the type of guy who would checkraise the turn w/ just overcards or a flush draw, so I'd call the river.

#3) - I'll call here a lot of the time. HU I'll bet the turn more often than not.

#4) - Looks good.

#5) - I don't really like the pre-flop 3-bet here w/ button sticking around in the middle. Even w/ something like 9:1 on the turn, I think I probably fold because button smells like a draw which could mean JQ (Aces no good) or hearts (Jh, Ah no good). You're very often drawing much thinner than you hope in this spot. You managed to build a big pot, though, so I guess you can call and hope to be shown something like JQ or AhJh.

latz
02-11-2004, 08:24 PM
#1 On party i would call.
#2 I would check the turn here and call (or raise if worried about blind calling with pair) if LAG bet riv. As it went down i would fold on turn, (before you know other guy is out) but on riv you can still beat a heart draw or pure bluff. call LAG

3 and 4 I would play both of these same way.

5 I would call this too.

1 and 5 hard to imagine a hand played reasonably that you can beat. I play a lot of shorthanded and probably have developed a bad habbit of calling too much with A high. On the other hand, all these pots are a good size. I doubt you give up very much by calling heads up on the riv with all of them.

Vehn
02-11-2004, 08:31 PM
I pretty much agree that #1 was the worst of them all. I'd have to specifically put him on something like a gutshot + flush draw that he was willing to bet into a limp reraiser with. Unlikely I win here even 1 in 10.

Diplomat
02-11-2004, 10:30 PM
1) Raise the turn so you don't have to call the river.

2) By LAG do you mean bluffs too much, is very aggressive with pairs, will overplay draws, or what? I think if there is a decent chance that the MP will go turbo nutzo with a flushdraw or ace-high on the turn, the calldown is fine. Otherwise I'd be tempted to fold the turn.

3) I dunno. I don't think I'd ever check the turn here. And if I did, it would be with the intention of folding the river unless an ace or jack came.

4) This is fine if you think the player will three-bet you often with only ace-high (or worse) and will bet the whole way with ace-high (or worse).

5) Unless the CO went nuts with A-high, you are F#$@ed. Too bad the button folded the river.

-Diplomat

mikelow
02-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Don't become a calling station! I would have mucked #1 and #2. On #4 you will be shown pocket sixes or something like that. #5 is very thin--you can only beat QJ ("nope, I missed!") or AJ (most likely hearts).

I'm anxious to see the results.

Vehn
02-11-2004, 11:54 PM
I really botched some/all of these. As expected I lost all 5. As I've said before I tend to ATM too much online. Live I have a much better handle on players and have no need to pay off the people I know have me beat. Online I have no idea what they're gonna turn up - but you have to draw the line somewhere, obviously.

#1 - He showed me a fairly predictable QTo. I agree a turn raise here is probably the way to go (although futile, of course) but at the time I thought it was best to attempt to keep the 3rd player in.

#2 - He showed me Ad9d. Again no real surprise there. I don't like checking the turn here really. Its very easy that I'm in the lead against weaker aces and I don't wanna give free cards to overcards. Unfortunetly I felt I had to call the turn checkraise though so maybe a turn check is in order. As it was I had 3 outs and 4 to a split. Bleh.

#3 - Preflop here is debateful surely but a lot of players tend to go wild here from the SB. *shrug* Not a lot I can say on this one, I'd probably do the same thing again. He showed me 65o (ugh).

#4 - What can I do? Live I can fold on the river with 95% confidence. Online I fork over 30 bucks I guess. He showed me pocket queens.

#5 - I agree with the other comments. Its fairly apparent the button's on some kind of draw which means its unlikely I have the 7 outs I'm counting on. So a turn fold is probably the way to go. River call here is pretty bad the way the betting came down IMO. He showed a predictable KJo. Oh well.

p.s. these were hands over the course of like 2 months, not one day or anything. I'm not normally THIS much of an ATM.

SA125
02-12-2004, 12:01 AM
Although I usually find Ulysses take on hands on target, I'm in-line with this response. This 15/30 game sounds like a crap-shoot.

P.S. mikelow - Your responses are usually on target also. That's why your response to SGS in "Call this turn" that you would've folded those 10's pre-flop sounds almost as fishy as your "click glitch" not raising Q's UTG. Come clean.

SA125
02-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Check that. You said you'd fold the 10's on the flop. Hold the flame. My mistake.

SA125
02-12-2004, 12:18 AM
"I really botched some/all of these. As expected I lost all 5. As I've said before I tend to ATM too much online"

"p.s. these were hands over the course of like 2 months, not one day or anything. I'm not normally THIS much of an ATM"

Thanks for the P.S. For a minute I thought this was no-peek baseball being played under the guise of 15/30 HE.

I'm thinking "Wow, in some posts you get elysium taking a single betting round to a level 90% of players don't reach. Then you get posts with guys asking if they're doing something wrong calling numerous rivers w/A high.

P.S. - Not intended to insult. Just add levity. We're all trying to learn here.

Paluka
02-12-2004, 12:37 AM
I already read the results, but these all looked like pretty bad calls to me. The only one that seems at all reasonable is #4. Most of these decisions could have been avoided by making more aggressive turn decisions.

Vehn
02-12-2004, 12:45 AM
Err of course they could have been avoided by betting or raising the turn, but the point is all of them I had alot of outs on and I don't want to get reraised on the turn with those hands. The only reasonable turn raise IMO is in #1.

latz
02-12-2004, 02:50 AM
Of course all of these calls are thin. He has A high. The point is he only has to win about 1 in 7 or 8 of these to show a profitt. Obviously, each call i expect you to lose, but with 3 more hands like this i would expect you to win at least 1 of these hands. Does anyone really disagree?

Gabe
02-12-2004, 05:33 AM
Hand 1: I’d raise the turn virtually every time.
Hand 2: Since you’ve represented a very strong hand and there is one other still in the hand, it looks to me like he wants you to call.
Hand 3: Why not?
Hand 4: Since it’s short handed, and you have a gut shot on the turn, I think it’s not too bad.
Hand 5: I don’t know. It’s kind of similar to hand 4, but it’s early in the hand and the button called two cold. You gotta give some of them up sometimes.
Too much of this can get expensive.

Paluka
02-12-2004, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course all of these calls are thin. He has A high. The point is he only has to win about 1 in 7 or 8 of these to show a profitt. Obviously, each call i expect you to lose, but with 3 more hands like this i would expect you to win at least 1 of these hands. Does anyone really disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand how poker works. When I said they looked like bad calls, I meant that I did not expect him to win 1 in 8 times, or even 1 in 15 in some of the cases. Thanks for the lecture, though.

mikelow
02-12-2004, 11:48 AM
That's a problem with online play, you tend to be too loose.

I've had the similar problem with sports betting offshore, and that's why I've given up on offshore sports betting, preferring just the online poker.