PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 Hand. 10-10 in MP. How could I have played this better?

unome
02-11-2004, 06:36 PM
5/10 game online. No real good info on any of these players. I'm in MP with 10-10. UTG+1 raises, next player cold calls, I cold call (1st mistake?), BB calls. 4 to the flop.

FLOP: J-10-9 (suits unimportant)

Preflop raiser bets, next guy calls, I raise (with set of 10s) BB folds, preflop rasier calls as does the other player.

TURN: 6

Checked to me and I bet. Preflop rasier raises me and other guy folds. The decision here is to call or raise. (remember hind sight is 20/20 /images/graemlins/smile.gif) I decide to call thinking that there's a very good chance that I'm ahead unless I'm against K-Q (suited more likely if it's an EP preflop raise) or JJ, but I decided to just call thinking that I may as well be against an open ended str8 draw as well as an over pair so there are a ton of outs for this opponent even if I am ahead right now.

RIVER: 2

He bets into me. What do you do here? Results to follow in a little bit.

bicyclekick
02-11-2004, 06:48 PM
I 3 bet the turn. If he caps and bets the river, just call him.

Yeknom58
02-11-2004, 07:07 PM
I would have 3-bet pre-flop.

Your thinking on the turn was totally incorrect. This is an easy 3-bet. If you thought you were ahead you should be throwing money in the pot like there's no tomorrow. If your opponent was drawing you need to charge him the absolute maximum to draw to his hand. You have a strong hand and you should treat it that way.

River: Since you only called the CR on the turn this is an easy river raise.

unome
02-11-2004, 07:13 PM
As the "hindsight 20/20" comment should have led on, I played it like a big pus*y.

He flipped over Q-Q and I take it down with my set.

Looking back, I certainly should have three bet the turn. It just goes to show how getting bad beat in a session can make you gun shy that same session on hands you almost clearly have the best of. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

bvaughn
02-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Party 3/6

I'm dealt 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in MP. UTG limps, I raise, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to me, I bet, both players call

Turn 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif[J /images/graemlins/club.gif]

Checked to me, I bet, SB calls, UTG check-raises, I call, SB calls

River 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif[4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif]

SB checks, UTG bets, I call, SB folds...

RESULTS in white: <font color="white">UTG shows 77 for flopped underset and MHIG </font>

So I guess I chickened out and left some bets on the table. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

steveyz
02-11-2004, 07:25 PM
I 3-bet the turn every time, you are very likely ahead. Although your opponent may have up to 10 outs, this actually makes it more important for you to get the bets in while you are still ahead. It also makes the river decision easier depending on how he reacts to your 3-bet.

steveyz
02-11-2004, 07:30 PM
This is not quite as bad as anyone with a bare 8 would have been ahead of you and would probably have played it like UTG. In the other case, there was only a 3-straight on board so it's much less likely that someone had him beat.