PDA

View Full Version : Call or Raise River

Schneids
02-11-2004, 05:53 PM
I've got two here, Party 5/10 SH. Both involve overly aggressive players.

Hand One
This one might be similar to a hand that James posted a couple weeks ago. I think it's different enough though to take a look at:

Party Poker 5/10 (4 handed)
Hero has 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is UTG

Hero raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls

Flop(4 2/5 SB): 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, Hero bets, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, BB caps, Hero calls

Turn(6 1/5 BB): 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets, Hero calls

River(8 1/5 BB): 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets... Call or raise?

Hand Two:
Party Poker 5/10 (4 handed)
Hero has Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif and is UTG

Hero raises, Button folds, SB 3-bets, BB folds, Hero calls

Flop(7 SB): 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero calls

Turn(6 1/2 BB): 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, Hero calls

River(8 1/2 BB): K/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets... Do you eek out a raise? Or call?

Vazh
02-11-2004, 06:28 PM
1. I'd just call and expect to be shown 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif's, one of which would be the 5.
2. I'd probably raise and call his 3 bet with AK.

PS, I'm not running real well right now, but I'm not bitter...

Requeim
02-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Hand 1:

Depends on how tricky I think my opponent is, I'm likely to pop him again on the turn, you've got an overpair and the gutshot. If you don't improve on the river, can always check it down.

Hand 2: I'd usually check and call it down at this spot, you know he's likely to flip over AK.

stripsqueez
02-11-2004, 07:20 PM
i would call 1 - lots of possible hands beat me on 1 and i have already represented a big pair - against some very aggressive/bad opponents i might raise

i would raise 2 - the only sensible hand he can have that beats me is AK - he might of overplayed a big pair or he might have AA - he might have K10s or KJs if he is aggressive pre-flop

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

sam h
02-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Hand 1 - Call. You're not getting a better hand to fold, and the hands that will pay you off (A6s, etc) are few in number than those you will lose an extra bet to (anything with a 5, small sets)

Hand 2 - I would call again, unless I could confidently fold to a cap. If not, then you really have to win that extra bet almost twice as often as you lose those two. I say you're good over half the time here, but maybe not over 2/3 of the time.

LivingLegend58
02-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Yeah but I still would raise, hopefully he does not have AK.

Schneids
02-12-2004, 02:21 PM
First, let me say, in both hands, my gut was telling me to raise. However, in both hands, I only called.

Hand One
BB has A6c and MHIG. Much more speculative raise here, IMO, because of the possibilities BB was going crazy with any combo of 76, 65, 5x with diamond draw, etc.

Hand Two
SB has KTo and MHIG. Regardless of results, I think this is one hand where I should have tried to make a river raise.