PDA

View Full Version : Flopping middle set with large field +2 flush on board

TwoNiner
02-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Loose online $5-10 I'm UTG with 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Eight people at the table and every single person limps.

Flop come 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks Big blind bets, I raise, folded all the way back to big blind..he reraises, i call. Turn 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif He bets the turn, I raise, he calls. River K /images/graemlins/heart.gif he leads out one more time and I raise again, he calls. I take it down, don't know what he had.

Now I cashed in nicely this hand mainly due to the incompetence of the Big Blind. My question here is should i have just called the flop bet? At the time the board of 2 diamonds and 10-7 up there made me want to make it expensive for draws with 8 people on the flop. But in hindsight with the pot already at $38 on the flop making it $10 to go would still put flush draws in the right to play on, same with 8-9. So basically i feel i just chased out hands i would have beaten easily(maybe saved myself some trouble with backdoor hearts). Even if the pot was smaller, at a loose table I think strong draws are going to stay anwyays so I think there could be more profit from letting others with overcards and a pair chase then get in a raising war, rather than charging the few draws a little more. The flop coming 10 high should of made me more apt to just call as well rather than if it was ace or queen etc where top pair would give me action, OK, I've gone from looking for input to just getting pissed about this play. Opinions are still welcome, especially if anyone agrees with flop raise because i pretty much hate it now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks
Two-Niner

steveyz
02-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Sounds like BB here is very aggressive and that you could rely on him to bet again on the turn if you just called .... in which case I probably would have called the flop and raised the turn.
But you are right that if you had waited to raise, you might well have let in the backdoor flush draw. Even a turn raise here probably doesn't knock out most loose players if they have a 4-flush or OESD, it just charges them more, which is just as good.

TwoNiner
02-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Ok, after thinking about it some more I think I might actually go back to liking the flop raise. On the same note of the thinking that flush draws and oesd's would be still gettting a good price after the raise i think with a mere call gut shots would be getting a good enough price, and towards the button 3 flush's with an over card would have a reason as well. Basically with a field of 8 i think i am content to go back to playing it safe and raising to get rid of the sand fleas that might stick around and catch something unexpected.