PDA

View Full Version : Mastering a level

me454555
02-11-2004, 03:34 PM
I've read numerous post about when its time to move up a level. Most of the time, these posts focus on bankroll requirements need and not so much skill level. My question is this: What type of BB/100 hands is high enough where you can have considerable confidence that you are playing close to optimally at a particular level? Does 3BBs/100 seem optimal or can a good player expect to make something much higher over the long run?

scotnt73
02-11-2004, 03:54 PM
i thinks they go together. if youve made enough at one level that you have 300 BBs for the next level then you have mastered the level you are on.

Jezebel
02-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Just because you have "mastered" one level by making 300BB, doesn't mean you will be sucessful moving up to the next level. For example, suppose you are only earning .5 BB/100 at 2/4. If you put in the hours you will eventually get 300 BB. This does not mean that you will be a winning player at the next level, since you will most likely not be earning as many BB per hour at the higher level.

MaxPower
02-11-2004, 04:09 PM
The most important skill is recognizing when you are a favorite in the game. This isn't always that easy. If you can look at each person in the game, identify their flaws and know how to deal with them, you are ready to sit in that game. If you are not sure, you probably aren't ready.

me454555
02-11-2004, 04:30 PM
This was exactly my point, if you play long enough w/a slight advantage, eventually you will win the money needed to support your bankroll at a higher level. This does not mean that you have the requisit skills to be sucessful at that higher level. This is why I looked at BBs/100 as a statistic of skill rather than total money earned

MaxPower
02-11-2004, 04:34 PM
I think you are right. If you win .5BB per 100 hands, you can build up a huge bankroll after many hours, but you won't be successfull when you move up.

You question isn't really answerable. Find someone whose game you respect and plays at the same levels/games/sites as you. You should compare with them. Perhaps they will share their win rate if you PM them.

MarkD
02-11-2004, 04:47 PM
It is a measure of skill - it is also the stat that takes longest to converge. Tough way to accurately measure your readiness to move up IMO.

scotnt73
02-11-2004, 05:36 PM
i agree. so i guess what you really have to say is you will be ready to move up but you will still have to prob pay your dues when you start each new level by being uncomfortable for a few days and making less overall untill you get used to that level. that is usually how it goes for me anyway.