PDA

View Full Version : Overplayed? and one of my poker leaks

CrackerZack
02-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Its rare I post an hand now without some form of oddity about it, but here's one. Did I overplay here? I think I might've, but not sure. The flop action is nutty so try to follow.

I'm on the button with 7d6d. UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, UTG+2 limps, UTG+3 folds, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, MP3 folds, CO limps, I limp, blinds come along. I considered raising but decide to limp along as this looseness is very rare. 8 to the flop for 8 SB.

Flop: Kd Td 4s

checked to UTG+1 who bets, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 raises, CO calls cold, I call-cold, blinds fold, UTG+1 3-bets, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, CO now caps, I call again, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls. 4 to a turn with a huge pot. In summary, UTG+1 bet and a 3-bet, MP2 put in first raise, CO cold-called-capped.

Turn: [Kd Td 4s] 5d

Checked to CO who bets, I raise, UTG+1 calls cold, MP2 fold, CO 3-bets, I cap, UTG+1 calls 2 again.

River: [Kd Td 4s 5d] Ac

checked to me, I bet, UTG+1 calls, CO C/Rs, I punch the dresser next to me and call, UTG+1 calls.

As expected the CO drops nuts on the table, UTG+1 had an uber-obvious KK (I guess he could have TT too). The cold-call cap set of bells of big hand/flush draw but I had the flush draw so I figured him for TT or 44 and when checked to on the river I was almost sure of it. I really like the way he played this hand but I'm curious if I gave enough action. Thoughts?

After the hand UTG+2 decided to chime in about how obvious that hand was "who couldn't see that" was the comment, and something about action. I was stuck and nearing tilt at the time and that put my over the edge. So I responded with "I'm blind, I can't see things." He responded with some remark so for the next hand, every decision I let the time get down under 5 seconds while typing "I'm blind. Help me find the buttons." Then I got up. Felt a lot better. And plopped down in a 150% bigger game to make up my loss. Chasing losses, bad plan, but I'm guilty. I did make it up this time though and played well in the bigger game as my stalling got all the tilt out and amused me.

So back to the original question, overplayed?

Vehn
02-11-2004, 02:58 PM
yes

scotnt73
02-11-2004, 03:00 PM
id have played it the same. one question:why did you consider raising preflop? what would the benefit be? you are either gonna get a flush or straight draw or check fold the flop. why even consider raising?

Joe Tall
02-11-2004, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So back to the original question, overplayed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that flop action w/cold-call/cap. I can't imagine him turning over any other hand.

Capping the turn looks insane yet this is coming from someone who has gone 7 bets on the turn without the nuts, so take the comment as you wish.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Vern
02-11-2004, 03:12 PM
IMHO I think you overplayed the turn by one BB. Your raise was good although that CC/Cap would have me scared too. You only had a 7 high flush with no draw to a straight flush, with three of the suit on the board, there were 5 single cards that could have hit a four flush on the river to beat you and any of those 5 cards with the one of the remaining 7 of the suit and you are drawing dead, so the cap was unlikely to get anyone out of the pot and it is likely everyone else was on a made flush (Only three of the other 29 possible made flushes were lower than yours), most likely higher with the previous action, a draw to a high flush or a set. The made flushes and flush draws would likely be putting the pressure on to make money from smaller flushes. Either way, I call the three bet on the turn instead of capping. On the river I play it the same, checked to me I would think the one card wonders missed their flush and the board failed to pair for the FH chasers and I would bet it and would make the crying call to the check raise. My dresser would not have survived. As for UTG+2, you made his day. He now knows you can get in your head and maybe put you on tilt by criticizing your play. I am sure that he took the extra time you afforded him on each hand to write that in his notes. /images/graemlins/grin.gif You also punished the other players for one player's arrogance.

Vern

MaxPower
02-11-2004, 03:53 PM
The CO play on the flop smells like a set or nut flush draw.

Perhaps you overplayed by capping the turn, but that is the 2+2 disease.

gonores
02-11-2004, 04:20 PM
This may sound really stupid, but I'd say I'd lay down to the flop cap to about 20-25% of the opponents I play against, but then again one of my leaks is sticking a little too close to my reads (case in point, I just laid down TT for one bet on the turn on an 8 high board because I was positive the guy turned a flush....he showed down Q5 for queen high). If you respect CO at all, you should at least consider tossing at the flop cap.

Your idea to play slow would work like crazy on me. I've never encountered it, but I'd probably either leave the table or ask you for you address so I could find you and beat you down (of course, only to find you are either 6'6" 280lb or a gun aficionado with an itchy trigger finger). I disapprove of it, but I'm a prick like that.

mosch
02-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Depending on my read of the opponents, I would likely fold to the cap flop. Against a large field of solid opponents, it's too likely that one of the aggressors is holding the nut flush draw.

Beyond that.... yeah, you overplayed the rest of it too. Glad to see I'm not the only one whose done this.

I think a good rule of thumb is 'if there's better than a 50% chance that you'll punch furniture, check it through'.

CrackerZack
02-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the responses. In an odd sense, I think I've been under-playing hands a bit much recently so I'm a bit glad to see I'm able to swing both ways. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Once we got down to 4, I was pretty sure UTG had a big hand looking for a limp re-raise since he wasn't the type to open limp, MP once liked his hand but not so much anymore, CO was the puzzle. The cold-call cap means 2 things, big draw or big hand and I find its become about equal in which its gonna be. Since I had diamonds I figured him more likely to have a big hand middle or bottom set than the draw. The turn I think the cap is excessive agreeing with the peanut gallery. If I don't cap the turn and he checks to me on the river, I'm betting every time though but he only checked due to my cap. I just can't see folding to the flop cap. QJ is a draw to the straight, plus the board has 2 face cards and diamond draws. There is just too much he can have that doesn't include two diamonds with the ace. Although it would've saved me 7 BBs. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

GuyOnTilt
02-12-2004, 01:18 AM
Capping the turn looks insane

Agreed. Capping the turn was stupid.

yet this is coming from someone who has gone 7 bets on the turn without the nuts, so take the comment as you wish.

I don't remember hearing about that one, but the one where you went 3 on the flop, 3 on the turn, and 3 on the river with Ace-high comes to mind... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GoT

Joe Tall
02-12-2004, 08:59 AM
A little drunk and hung over:

Did I miss a bet? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=485186& Forum=smallholdem&Words=did%20I%20miss%20a%20bet&M atch=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1mo nth&Main=485186&Search=true#Post485186)

Clairvoyance:

One maniac runs over another. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=376595& Forum=smallholdem&Words=ocean%27s%2011&Match=Entir e%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=37 6595&Search=true#Post376595)

Alcohol is the bain of my exsistence.

Peace,
Joe Tall