PDA

View Full Version : Set over Set at a loose passive table... was I just bound to lose $$s?

laxrulz777
02-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Playing 1488 at the Grand in Biluxi I'm at a table with the following makeup

Seat 1: Decent but to aggressive preflop (raising EVERY pair for example)
Seat 2: New player
Seat 3: Tight/Weak
Seat 4: Hero
Seat 5: Loose/Weak
Seat 6: Good player Ultra-tight but very aggressive
Seat 7: Decent player post-flop but too loose/aggressive pre-flop
Seat 8: Borderline Maniac
Seat 9: Aggressive good player

I'm SB with 66. Player 5 and 7 call, Maniac makes it 4 (why do people do this?), 9 folds, 1-3 call, Hero calls.

Flop comes 3-6-9 rainbow. I bet and player 7 and 8 calls, 1 Folds and 2 raises, 3 folds and I reraise to 12. Everyone folds except player 2 who makes it 16. I slow down at this point and call. Turn comes rag and I bet he raises and I call. I check call the River and lose to pocket 9's.

I felt like I knew he had the 9's but I also think that he could have easily been over playing top two pair or bottom set. Should I have let it go on the turn? Is set over set just a bad beat and you should live with it?

any advice would be helpful?

sfer
02-11-2004, 02:41 PM
You played it fine. Set over set isn't a bad beat but it is definitely a recipe for losing a lot of bets. Thankfully it doesn't happen often. It's like having pocket Kings and another guy having Aces. You're going to loose a lot. Not much you can do but move on to the next hand.

ropey
02-11-2004, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I slow down at this point and call. Turn comes rag and I bet he raises and I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying I would have lost any less money on this hand (I surely would have lost more)...but I don't follow this logic here. Why did you slow down? And if you slowed down because you thought you were beat, than why bet the turn?

-ropey

laxrulz777
02-11-2004, 03:20 PM
It probably was a poor decision to bet the turn but in between calling that last bet on the flop and betting on the turn I convinced myself that he could have bottom set... probably not good to listen to illogic but it happens...

ropey
02-11-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm not saying it was bad to bet the turn...just understand that re-raising the flop is essentially the same thing as betting the turn when a blank hits.