PDA

View Full Version : AKo and AJs missing the flop

DougThor
02-11-2004, 01:54 PM
I have so much trouble with overcards when they miss the flop. I tend to be more aggressive with 1 or 2 opponents but obviously I wasn't in these examples below. Please advise if I should have been.

HAND#1

I'd just sat down so I had no read on EP1 at all.

Party Poker 3/6 (10 handed)
Hero has K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif and is BB

UTG limps, EP1 raises, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero 3-bets, UTG calls, EP1 calls, MP3 calls

Flop(12 1/3 SB): 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets, UTG folds, EP1 calls, MP3 folds

I had no backdoor flush but still bet out to thin the field, which I seemed to do.

Turn(7 1/6 BB): 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero checks, EP1 bets, Hero calls

This is where I froze up. Should I have continued to bet. Should I have folded, or called with 6 outs?

River(9 1/6 BB): 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, EP1 bets, Hero folds

I had nothing and had put EP1 on a made hand, medium pair?

HAND #2

Hero has A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is Button

MP2 limps, CO limps, Hero raises, SB folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls, CO calls

MP2 and CO are very loose passive calling with A-anything, any suited connectors.

Flop(7 1/3 SB): 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Again, with two opponents I was thinking I should have bet after their two checks.

Turn(3 2/3 BB): 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif

MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Missed another bet?

River(3 2/3 BB): 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP2 checks, CO bets, Hero folds, MP2 folds

Thinking I may have laid down the best hand after the rag hit on the river.

HAND #3

Hero has A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is MP1

Hero raises, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls

Not many notes on MP3 yet but he was playing pretty tight.

Flop(6 1/3 SB): 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 calls, BB calls

I took the lead pre-flop, and had overcards with backdoor flush on the flop. Figured I would call a bet so why not bet out and hope to fold out overcards, medium connectors. Plus can't give club flush draw a free card, right?

Turn(4 2/3 BB): 6/images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, Hero checks, MP3 bets, BB folds, Hero folds

On turn I pick up nothing, scare club card hits, thought fold was good.

Brian
02-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi DougThor,

In these types of situatons I routinely bet the Flop and then check-fold the Turn if there are still many opponents. Sometimes I'll bet again if I know the player always takes one off on the Flop. Sometimes I am in late position and get to buy myself a free card on the Turn by betting the Flop, and sometimes I just check the Flop through. Against a player whom I have very good control over, I'll sometimes even check-raise the Turn. Sometimes check-calling the Flop is alright if you think there is a fair possibility you will be raised, but also think your overcard outs are clean. Etc etc etc.

However, you will notice one common trend amongst my different approaches: I never, ever check-call the Turn.

I think crockpot or someone recently wrote an essay on how to play AK when you miss the Flop. If you pm him and request it, I am sure he will send you a link.

-Brian

ropey
02-11-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn(7 1/6 BB): 3

Hero checks, EP1 bets, Hero calls

This is where I froze up. Should I have continued to bet. Should I have folded, or called with 6 outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you are going to try to steal with your AK, you have to bet the turn as well...many players will call the flop bet regardless of how well it hit them and give up on the turn. If you are going to try and "steal", then follow through with it.

As far as your 6 outs; you had 6 outs on the turn and you called a bet...whats the difference? Your odds are better to hit an A or K with 2 cards coming, but if you aren't going to see the next card, than it doesn't matter if you have 20 cards coming.

Hand 2- You have the button, you ought to consider using it.

-ropey

Saborion
02-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Here's something JT wrote a while ago.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=433894&page=1&view=co llapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1

sfer
02-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Hands 1 and 3, I think are a judgement call whether you want to continue betting the turn. As was said by other posters, maybe they fold, maybe not, but many players routinely call a single flop bet and fold the turn.

But hand 2, you've got the button and when it's checked around on the turn they're practically begging you to bet so they can fold.