PDA

View Full Version : OMFG I limp-reraised

Nate tha' Great
02-11-2004, 01:54 PM
I've pretty much taken the limp-reraise out of my 6-max playbook, but this was an exception. The CO and Button at this table are tentative players, and I had noticed a pattern wherein the BB would very often raise if the pot came in unraised to him. I suspect that he's doing this with a relatively wide range of hands.

Do you think there's merit to this play? I think that I might well have had the best hand, but I also thought it could use a little bit of a boost in terms of perceived strength since I was playing out of position. Neither of these opponents had seen me limp r/raise before.

===

Party Poker 10/20 (5 handed)
NateThaGreat has J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif and is SB

CO limps, Button folds, NateThaGreat limps, BB raises, CO calls, NateThaGreat 3-bets, BB calls, CO calls

Flop(9 SB): 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif

NateThaGreat bets, BB calls, CO calls

Turn(6 BB): 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif

They both called. Stay on the attack and bet out?

gonores
02-11-2004, 02:08 PM
I've noticed a serious propensity for players who see a limp-reraise, especially one as suspicious as this, to go straight to call mode post-flop. I'd prolly give up unless you think you are winning a showdown....someone has something and is afraid of the 3bet from AA or KK.

daryn
02-11-2004, 02:28 PM
i think the limp reraise with AJ is a poor play.. most likely you're gonna see a flop 3 way, and i wouldn't want AJ in that situation. they will be suspicious and want to call you down.

scotnt73
02-11-2004, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think the limp reraise with AJ is a poor play.. most likely you're gonna see a flop 3 way, and i wouldn't want AJ in that situation. they will be suspicious and want to call you down.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree

gonores
02-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Why wouldn't you want AJ here? You have the best hand almost every time. Obviously, this situation is much different from the times when you have AJ in the SB and the BB is normal...then LRRing is insane. The beauty of LRRing with hands other than AA and KK is that you will get called down a lot, even when you hit. Let's go through the thought processes of possible opponents.

Bad Player: Limp re-wha? I'm calling down with bottom pair because that's what I do...I call.

OK player: I think I read somewhere that players LRR with AA or KK. I wonder if this guy is doing that. I guess there's only one way to find out. I call.

Good player: Hmm....he limp re-raised. That means he must have AA or KK. Since there is an ace on the board and an ace in my hand, it's much more likely he has KK, and since I have Nate labelled as an overaggressive maniac, I'm gonna raise with impunity here and make him pay a shitload to get to the showdown.

LRRing on occasion in an aggressive game with what will usually prove to be the best hand isn't a bad idea.

stripsqueez
02-11-2004, 09:21 PM
i think its a shocker

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

daryn
02-11-2004, 09:30 PM
you seem to be proving my point..

i indeed said that players will be more likely to call you down... and here you are betting AJ which you limp reraised with, and you have 2 guys calling you down.

gonores
02-11-2004, 09:59 PM
You seem to think that this is a bad thing. My point is they are going to call you down when you hit and when you miss. If you have skills postflop (which nate does), then the times these guys call you down when you hit will make up for the times he gets called down when he misses.

daryn
02-11-2004, 10:22 PM
i'm just not sure about that..

the hand is 3 way.. how many times is he gonna hit? how many times is he gonna "hit" and still lose?

gonores
02-11-2004, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i'm just not sure about that..

the hand is 3 way.. how many times is he gonna hit? how many times is he gonna "hit" and still lose?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you feel that way, what do you raise with from the SB? You're going to miss a lot with AKs too, but you still try to get more money in the pot from the SB. Nate found the way to get the most money in the pot before the flop with the best hand. On top of that, he's gonna get extra action when he hits, and he is going to disguise his next LRR with AA or KK. I think you are looking at this too negatively.

daryn
02-12-2004, 01:12 PM
it's not just about raising from the sb.. the issue is limp reraising.

gonores
02-12-2004, 03:33 PM
I think the extra 1-1.5 BB he gains here by limp-reraising as opposed to flat raising will compensate for the extra times he gets called down by hand that wouldn't call down if he had just flat raised.