PDA

View Full Version : AJo PF decision against agressive player...

ElSapo
02-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Party 2/4, and the player on my right is raising often.

He's not a maniac -- he plays pretty well post-flop and he isn't exactly raising every hand, but I think he's coming in pretty light. I suspect he's raising every pair and maybe his suited aces, KJ and QT and the like. So, he's over-agressive pre-flop, I think, but he also may just be a good player. I've also seen him very agressive post-flop with overcards, though he'll back off if you play back at him.

The table knows it, and more and more people are calling his raises.

On the the decision...

Three limp in, and he raises. I have AJo. Call, three-bet or fold?

ElSapo
02-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Next decision...

Folded to him in the CO. He raises. I three-bet with A9o. Good?

EDIT/Side question -- How do loose blinds affect this decision?

MaxPower
02-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Does he still raise light after 3 limpers? I would assume he needs a better hand to raise in that case. Even if he doesn't, I would still fold AJo with 3 limpers and a raise?

In your second example, I like raising. Even if the blinds are loose they will not always call 2 more and will often be calling with worse hands than yours. You will have position in a shorthanded pot.

Schmed
02-11-2004, 12:08 PM
I think a guy like that I want to isolate so I 3 bet hoping to get him headsup. He will be the flop so you be ready to raise him and see the river.

MaxPower
02-11-2004, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a guy like that I want to isolate so I 3 bet hoping to get him headsup.

[/ QUOTE ]

The likelihood of this happening is slim to none.

scotnt73
02-11-2004, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think a guy like that I want to isolate so I 3 bet hoping to get him headsup.

[/ QUOTE ]

The likelihood of this happening is slim to none.

[/ QUOTE ]

id put my money on none every time at 2/4

Luke
02-11-2004, 12:26 PM
I think that you should fold the AJo in the first hand. Even if he is raising lightly on this hand, you still have the other 3 limpers to contend with. I'm sure at least one or 2 are going to come along and I assume the blinds still have to act so you it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to isolate him.

But I do like raising A9o in the other hand. He could be raising VERY lightly here and you have a hand that plays well headsup, you have position, and you have a good chance of isolating this guy.

Luke

Schmed
02-11-2004, 12:31 PM
guess you're right but it would be what I would be thinking. I would also be thinking I have the best ace because the EP's would have raised AQ and greater, LA player will raise anything.

I tend to play at the B&M and I think there people value their chips a little more. For the 3 bet you probably lose the blinds that may call one more and maybe one of the ep players. It's definitely one of those raise or fold situations.

ElSapo
02-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah, agreed. I think if it were AJs I'd have been tempted to cold-call but even that may be wrong.

As it went, I folded AJo and three-bet the A9o.

Sadly, both blinds came along, checked to the LAG on a rag board and he bet. I raised and only the SB called (with 44). He caught on the turn but I checked behind. I did however call one on the end, otherwise I'd be completely happy with the hand.