PDA

View Full Version : KQs, pumping the draw

Rico Suave
02-11-2004, 10:35 AM
Table has been very loose. SB plays way too many hands and has shown down some awful cards (that won), but has not raise btf much.

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Rico has Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is EP1

Rico limps, EP2 limps, MP1 limps, MP2(poster) checks, CO(poster) checks, Button limps, SB raises, BB calls, Rico calls, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2(poster) calls, CO(poster) folds, Button calls

Flop(15 SB): J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB checks, Rico bets, EP2 calls, MP1 raises, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, Rico 3-bets, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, SB calls, BB calls

Turn(15 BB): 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB checks, Rico bets, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, SB calls, BB folds

River(19 BB): 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, Rico raises, EP2 folds, MP1 folds, SB 3-bets, Rico calls

Disclaimer: I realize I should raise BTF here, and I generally do with KQs about 95% of the time, especially at loose tables, so I am not sure why I open limped here. (Playing 2 tables and taking a phone call could have contributed to the slip /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

--Rico

Brian
02-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Hi Rico,

Raise it up pre-Flop. Not just because you hold one of the best hands in Hold'em, but also because of the extra blinds. About the only reason I wouldn't raise KQs in EP is if my raises are getting too much respect and I won't get the large multiway pot that KQs loves. But, with the extra blind money in the pot, either they will put more money into the pot with weak hands (likely), or they will fold, which is good also.

I think you played the Flop and Turn excellently. On the River, I think you are in the perfect situation to go for an overcall. SB is calm and quiet this whole time, and suddenly bets out on the River. You may have him beat, but if you don't, he's going to 3-bet you, and your raise will probably drive everyone else out. Call, you may actually get more bets into the pot this way when you are ahead, but you are likely to get at least the same amount that you would if you had raised the SB and had him beat.

-Brian

Rico Suave
02-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Hey Brian:

Thanks for the input.

[ QUOTE ]
Raise it up pre-Flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know...read my disclaimer /images/graemlins/grin.gif .

[ QUOTE ]
On the River, I think you are in the perfect situation to go for an overcall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. I think this was a pretty bad mistake considering the sb raised pf and then bets out when the flush hits. It is very likely if he has the flush, he has the nuts, and so I should just call and go for the overcalls. SB turns over A4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and takes down the huge pot I built for him, and my mistake cost me more than an hour's worth of profit (2BB).

--Rico