PDA

View Full Version : 98s, What is my turn play?

Rico Suave
02-11-2004, 10:22 AM
This hand occurred in the first orbit or two, so no specific reads.

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Rico has 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif and is Button

EP2 limps, MP2 limps, Rico limps, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(5 SB): 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, BB checks, EP2 checks, MP2 checks, Rico bets, SB calls, BB calls, EP2 calls, MP2 calls

Turn(5 BB): Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB checks, EP2 bets, MP2 folds, Rico ???

Raise or Call?

What should be my plan if I do not improve on the river?

--Rico

Justaloser
02-11-2004, 10:36 AM
To me, the answer depends on your impression of him, and his impression of you.

Would he fold TP? Could he be slowplaying (on the flop) a set? Is he betting a draw? Would he fold a busted draw on the river? Would he call with a bottom pair on the river?
What does he think you have? Does he even think that you have two cards?

Without knowing more his bet says I have a Q, possibly Q9, Q6 or Q3 (depending on what kind of player he is).

If you think there is a good chance he will fold to a river bet, then I would raise. If he three bets, call and fold the river if unimproved.

If he's like a lot of players on Party, he could have A9 and call all your raises.
In which case I would call and check the river if unimproved.

danish69
02-11-2004, 10:43 AM
I would say call. You probably donīt have the best hand now, as the bettor probably has a Q.
But you have 9 outs for a flush and 2 outs for a set.
So call, and if you improve to flush or a set bet/raise on the river.
If you donīt improve I would fold to a river bet.

scotnt73
02-11-2004, 10:50 AM
call because:
1)you may improve on the river
2)you hope the sb and bb will call as well

Schmed
02-11-2004, 10:52 AM
I would call the turn although I think the play here is to raise if you think he will check to you on the river. That way unimproved you get to see if you have the best hand if you improve he will pay you off. Like I said I would have probably went call, and call the river bet.

Brian
02-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi Rico,

If the pot were larger, I would probably raise. But as-is, it is pretty small, and you have a monster draw, with likely 15 outs. I'd keep the SB and BB in at the risk of one of them hitting an overcard to beat me when the EP2 player doesn't have a Queen or better.

-Brian

Rico Suave
02-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Hey Brian:

Thanks for the input. I did call here.

If the river is a blank, and EP1 bets into you, do you call or fold?

--Rico

Rico Suave
02-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Hey Schmed:

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said I would have probably went call, and call the river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I took 1/2 of your advise, I called the turn and folded when a blank hit and EP1 bet out again. After I folded, I thought that I had made a mistake. And then when I was reviewed this hand later, raising the turn seemed like a viable option here.

Thanks for the input.

--Rico

ordnaryjam
02-11-2004, 02:09 PM
I think your action has to do with your intentions on the river. If you plan to fold to him on the river if you dont improve then i call. If you plan topay him off then it is often good to raise him. You might get a hand like 10-9 out of the blinds, and often the river will go check check when you do this and dont improve.
However you still have a drawing hand and your knowledge of how the blinds play is important. If they are both lose then you can expect one or oth to call for one bet but not two then just calling is not bad.

Brian
02-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Hi Rico,

I think that depends on whether or not the Blinds called and what exactly the blank was. The reason whether or not the blinds fold on the Turn or call is relevent for a couple of reasons. One, the EP player is less likely to bluff into a field of 3 again when he was called in 3 places on the Turn. And two, it also effects the pot odds that you are getting.

A likely hand for him to be holding here is JT, so if the River were a King, I probably would not call. If on the River, it's just you and him heads-up, you're getting 8:1 on your call. He doesn't have to be bluffing very often to make calling worthwhile.

-Brian